Bachelor of Dental Surgery is a 5.5-year program in Nepal with full-time study of 4 years 6 months, and 1 year of compulsory rotating internships. Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu University, and BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS) offer the BDS program in Nepal.
BPKIHS has 40 seats in the BDS program. The total available seats for other programs are discussed below.
The BDS Program is famous for national but also international students. Bachelor of Dental Surgery is targeted by many Indian students as well. However, Indian students should mandatorily give the NEET test to get admission to Nepal's TU and KU-affiliated dental colleges.
Why study BDS in Nepal?
- The quality of BDS Education in Nepal is brilliant.
- BDS in Nepal is more affordable compared to other countries.
- The 5.5 BDS program is comprehensive and offers internships that help students get real experience in the dental field.
- The BDS program from Nepal is recognized all over the world.
- Indian students need no VISA or Passport to study BDS in Nepal.
BDS Entrance examination
The Entrance examination for BDS can be characterized as-
- Single best response/ Multiple Choice Questions
- Number of Questions: 200
- Total Marks: 200 (No negative marking)
- Duration: 3 hours
|Entrance section||Question/ Marks|
|Mental Agility Test (MAT)||20|
The MAT section comprises-
- Verbal Reasoning
- Numerical Reasoning
- Logical Sequencing
- Spatial Relation/ Abstract Reasoning
Entrance Preparation for BDS in Nepal
- For the BDS Entrance examination of KU, a Copy of the curriculum and the model questions is printed, published and marketed by Janak Education Materials Centre Ltd Sanothimi, Bhaktapur.
You must meet these criteria if you wish to study Bachelor of Dental Surgery in Nepal.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 17 years.
- Applicants/ students must pass intermediate or +2 level in science with a minimum of 55% or CGPA of 2.4.
- Or, students must pass the diploma/ health science proficiency certificate level with a minimum of 50% and be registered in the Nepal Health Professional Council of Nepal Pharmacy Council or Nepal Ayurveda Councils per related educational program. The Diploma fields that are accepted:
- General Medicine
- Medical Lab Technology
- Ophthalmic Science
- Dental Science
- Students must appear on the BDS entrance examination conducted by TU or KU as per the Ministry of Education.
After appearing on the BDS Entrance examination, students need to present the documents to the concerned educational institution during admission as a part of the admission process.
The documents needed for the admission process are:
- Class 10th mark sheet and character certificate from recognized institute and equivalent.
- Class 12th or equivalent diploma transcript, character and provisional certificate.
- Copy of Citizenship/ Passport
- BDS Entrance examination admit card
BDS Syllabus in Nepal
BDS curriculum for KU
|KU First Semester||KU Second semester|
|KU Third Semester||KU Fourth semester|
|KU Fifth Semester||KU Sixth semester|
|KU Seventh Semester||KU Eighth semester|
|KU Ninth Semester||KU Last year|
||• One year rotating|
Fee structure of BDS in Nepal
|BDS offering College||Total BDS course tuition fees (NPR)|
|Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMUS)||19,30,000|
|Maharajgunj Medical Campus||20,19,580|
For private colleges, the BDS fees range from NPR 20 Lakhs to NPR 60 Lakhs for domestic and international students. If this program is too expensive, you can pursue a Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene).
The government of Nepal has allocated some BDS scholarship Quotas as follows for the colleges under TU.
|TU Bachelor of Dental Science Colleges||BDS Scholarships seats in college|
|Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhairahawa||5|
|Peoples Dental College, Kathmandu||5|
|KIST Medical College, Imadole, Lalitpur||5|
|Chitwan Medical College, Bharatpur||4|
|MB Kedia Dental College, Birgunj||3|
|Gandaki Medical College, Kaski, Pokhara||3|
|KU Bachelor of Dental Science Colleges||BDS Scholarships seats in college|
|College of Medical Sciences||8|
|Kathmandu Medical College||5|
|Kantipur Dental College||5|
|Nobel Medical College||4|
|Nepal Medical College||4|
BDS course details
KU BDS Program
- 5 and half years long
- The total BDS seats in KUSMUS is 50 each year.
- The course curriculum at the KU-affiliated BDS Programme is Student-centred, Problem-based, integrated, community-oriented, electives embodied, and Systematic.
- 2-year pre-clinical and para-clinical
- 2.5 years Clinical
- 1-year Compulsory Rotating Residential
- For admission, students must meet the eligibility criteria and pass the entrance test.
- The fee structure at KUSMUS Dhulikhel is
- At Admission: NRs. 8,00,000/-
- Beginning of 2nd Year: NRs. 4,00,000/-
- Beginning of 3rd Year: NRs. 4,00,000/-
- Beginning of 4th Year: NRs. 3,30,000/-
- Total Tuition Fee: NRs. 19,30,000/-
- Hostel Fee: Rs. 3000/- per month (Only residential)
TU BDS Program
- 5 and half years long
- The major component is;
- Integrated Basic Medical Science
- Clinical Medical Science
- Clinical Dental Science
List of BDS Colleges in Nepal
The colleges offer BDS under the:
- Kathmandu University (KU)
- Tribhuvan University (TU)
- BP Koirala Institute of Health
Dental Colleges under Kathmandu University
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences (KUSMUS)
- Kantipur Dental College Teaching Hospital and Research Center- Dhapasi, Basundhara, Kathmandu
- Nobel Medical College Teaching Hospital P. Ltd. - Biratnagar, Morang, Nepal.
- College of Medical Science, Bharatpur
- Kathmandu Medical Colleges, Kathmandu
- Nepal Medical College
Dental Colleges under Tribhuvan University
- Universal College of Medical Sciences, Bhairahawa
- Chitwan Medical College- Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Gandaki Medical College- Pokhara, Nepal
- Peoples Dental College
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus
- KIST Medical College, Patan, Lalitpur
- MB Kedia Dental College and Teaching Hospital
Click here if you want to know more about the best Medical Colleges of Nepal.
The performance of students in a BDS program is assessed via
- Internal Examinations
- External Examinations
The international examination has 2 main components for student performance Evaluation.
- Continuous Assessments
It encompasses written test quizzes, open-book tests, practical/ clinical work, attendance, Home assignment, class performance, presentations, seminars, workshops and projects.
- Sessional Examinations
Conducted by concerned faculty members or subject teachers.
The external examination, called the University examination, comprehends theory, viva voice and practical/ clinical examinations.
After qualifying for the internal examination and attendance, students can sit on external examinations or VIVA voice. To pass, students need to bring
- At least 50% in the written component of each university theory paper
- At least 50% in university practical or clinical examination.
BDS Scope in Nepal
The future career for BDS graduates is Dentist. They are responsible for treating teeth gums, cosmetic surgery of teeth, identifying oral problems, promoting oral health, facial surgery, teeth extraction and so on.
It’s a highly demanded course with growing scope. BDS aspirants can work as dentists or dental consultants in private and public hospitals or start clinics. Other than this, they can also work in colleges or educational institutes.
Dentists can earn from NPR 4 lakhs to 6 Lakhs in the early stage of their career. With time, Dentists can earn 10 Lakh per year and more.
Regarding future studies, you can study Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) in Nepal or abroad. Dentistry has a vast career scope in the USA, Canada, Australia and UK countries, and they can earn from USD 120,000 per year to USD 300,000 per year and more.