If you are interested in dental courses after 10th in Nepal, and wondering about several information related to it such as diploma in dental Science Colleges in Nepal, dental course in Nepal, dental hygienist salary in Nepal, you are in the right place.
Certificate in Dental Science or Dental Hygiene is getting more attention from people thanks to the curriculum, future aspects and affordable tuition fees of the program. Upon the completion of the program, the dental science graduates can work as technical dental hygienists or the positions prescribed as Nepal Health Professional Council.
The Diploma of bachelor of science or certificate in dental science aims to produce technically competent graduates/middle-level human resource professionals who can offer quality and ethical dental science practice under the supervision of a Dental Surgeon.
In this blog, we are going to discuss the career prospects of the dental hygienist course, the colleges offering the certificate in Dental Hygiene and so on.
Certificate in Dental Hygienist Colleges in Nepal
These are some of the colleges offering diplomas in Dental Science or dental hygienist courses in Nepal. Most of these institutes have quotas for 40 students in a batch.
- Kantipur Dental College
- Nobel Medical College
- School of Health Science- Bharatpur
- Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences
- College of Medical Sciences (CMS)
- Nepal Dental Hospital and Technical Research Institute
- MB Kedia Dental College and Teaching Hospital
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC)
- Kathmandu Model Hospital School of Oral Health
The certificate in Dental Science is 3 years long. In 1 year, there is a maximum of 39 academic weeks. One week consists of a maximum of 40 hours.
Eligibility for Dental Hygienist certificate in Nepal
The entry criteria for dental hygiene in Nepal are listed below:
- Students need to have completed class 10th/ SLC/ SEE with a minimum of 45% in aggregate.
- Students need to secure a minimum C grade in Mathematics, English, Science from a recognized board.
- Students need to pass the entrance test conducted by CTEVT.
Additionally, you also need other documents like an SLC pass certificate, School Character Certificate and citizenship certificate (if you have made it).
Certification in Dental Hygiene Syllabus
Certification in Dental Hygiene is a 3-year course. Below the syllabus of Dental Hygiene syllabus is discussed.
As you will see in the syllabus of the three years below, the first year focuses on science and foundation subjects, the second year focuses on dental science and associated practicals. Finally, the third year is all about the application of learned skills within comprehensive practical settings.
Dental Science First year
- Social Studies
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Math, Statistics and Computer Application
Dental Science Second Year
- Dental Anatomy and Physiology
- Dental Materials and Instruments and Assisting
- Basic Periodontology I
- Oral Pathology and Microbiology
- Health Education
- Epidemiology and Community Diagnosis
- Environmental Health
Dental Science Third Year
- Basic Periodontology II
- Food and Nutrition
- Dental Pharmacology
- Health Management
- Dental Radiography and Photography
- Dental Public Health and Jurisprudence
- Comprehensive Professional Field Practice
How much does it cost to study dental hygienist in Nepal?
The tuition fees of dental hygiene in Nepal might differ from one college to another depending on the location of the college and the facilities offered. Nonetheless, the cost of studying for a certificate of dental hygiene in Nepal might range from NPR 3 Lakhs to NPR 5 Lakh for the entire course of 3 years.
Note that, there are provisions of scholarships for the students.
The eligibility criteria to study Certificate of Dental Hygienist for free (with scholarship) in Nepal are:
- Students need to pass SLC/ SEE from a public/ government school.
- Students need to pass the scholarship examination conducted by CTEVT
Additional information about Certificate in Dental Science in Nepal
- Students need to have at least 90% attendance in the academic year to appear in the final examination.
- The performance of students is examined based on Internal assessment, Final examination and Requirement of Final Practical examination.
- The pass marks for the theory examination is 40% and 60% in the practical examination.
- Students who completed the dental science degree with the requirements prescribed by The Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) get the Certificate in Dental Science.
- The grading system for the certification in dental science program is-
- Pass division: Pass aggregate below 65%
- First division: 65% and above
- Distinction: 80% and above
Scope of Certification in Dental Hygiene in Nepal
The graduates of the Dental Hygiene course are eligible for registration with the Nepal Health Professional Council in the grade as mentioned in the Nepal Health Professional Council Act.
After completing dental hygiene in Nepal, you will be able to provide services like;
- Taking and developing dental radiographs (X-rays).
- Perform patient screening procedures such as health conditions assessment, oral cancer screening, health and neck inspection, dental charting, health history review, checking blood pressures and pulses etc.
- Applying preventive materials such as tooth brushing, flossing, nutritional counselling etc.
- Cleaning teeth, removing calculus and plaque etc.
- Use periodontal instruments for basic periodontal therapy
Thanks to these skills, dental science graduates can work as dental assistants in the hospital and clinical settings under the mentorship of a dental surgeon. The graduates of Certificate in Dental Hygiene earn from NPR 15,000 to NPR 80,000 per month in Nepal.
Additionally, students can also apply for bachelor level in the related (dental) field after completing their degree.