If you want to know about the pharmacy course in Nepal after the 12th, you are in the right place. Bachelor of Pharmacy, also known as B. Pharm, is a health profession that uses the principles of chemical sciences for high-quality medicines and guidelines along with.
This degree is offered by 4 universities of Nepal- Kathmandu University, Tribhuvan University, Pokhara University and Purbanchal University- this degree aims in producing successful professionals who can inspect the drug manufacturing plant, monitor storage conditions, drug handling and distribution.
As a result, Bachelor of Pharmacy graduates can also work as a drug assessment officer, GMP superintendent, manufacturing practitioner, communication officer, supervisor, etc. Bachelor of Pharmacy has good future prospects because. The Department of Drug Administration (DDA) mentions that there are 108 pharmaceutical companies- 3 Ayurvedic, 9 veterinary pharmaceutical companies and allopathy pharmaceutical companies.
The objective of Bachelor of Pharmacy in Nepal
- To contribute to the sector of the Nepali pharmacy field by strengthening the existing pharmacy practices via continuous education and training programs.
- To produce skilled pharmacists for both the private and public sectors who are competent enough to tackle pharmaceutical-based problems of people in a scientifically sound manner.
- To teach students the foundation of health and chemical science
- To provide pharmaceutical industries with skilled and diverse manpower with knowledge of appropriate technology, work ethics, discipline and skills for the production of safe and effective medicines.
- Produce human resources who can Competently handle dispensing, patient counselling, procurement, drug storage, formulation and small/large scale production.
- Guide students to Carry on further studies & research work on different pharmaceutical fields.
B Pharmacy Eligibility in Nepal
- Students applying for Bachelor in Pharmacy need to pass 10+2 in Science (Physics, Chemistry, Botany)/ A- level with at least 2.4 GPA or 50%.
- Alternatively, Students can pass proficiency level certificate or diploma with a minimum of 50% in subjects such as:
- General Medicine
- Medical Lab Technology
- Ophthalmic Science
- Dental Science
If students have done a diploma in the above-mentioned courses, they also need to be registered in the Nepal Health Professional Council of Nepal Pharmacy Council or Nepal Ayurveda council as per the demand of the program.
B. Pharm Entrance Syllabus
The entrance examination for B Pharm is taken for selecting suitable candidates. The B. Pharm examination is the same for all the universities. The basics of the entrance test are:
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) with 4 options
- Full marks: 200
- Total Questions: 200
- Exam duration: 3 hours
|Domain: Zoology||Question (40)|
|Biology, origin, and evolution of life||4|
|General characteristics and classification of protozoa to Chordata.||8|
|Plasmodium, earthworm, and frog,||8|
|Human biology and human diseases||14|
|Environmental pollution, adaptation and animal behaviour, application of zoology||2|
|Domain: Botany||Question: 40|
|The basic component of life and biodiversity||11|
|Ecology and environment||5|
|Cell biology and genetics||12|
|Anatomy and physiology||7|
|Developmental and applied botany||5|
|Domain: Chemistry||Question: 40|
|General and physical chemistry||15|
|Domain: Physics||Question: 40|
|Heat and thermodynamics||5|
|Geometrical optics and physical optics||5|
|Current electricity and magnetism||7|
|Sound waves, electrostatics, and capacitors||5|
|Modern physics and nuclear physics||5|
|Solid and semiconductor devices(electronics)||2|
|Particle physics, source of energy, and universe||2|
|Domain: PCL Course of a specific subject||Questions: 20|
|Contents from PCL/ diploma level course of a specific subject||20|
|Mental Agility Test (MAT)||Questions: 20|
|Spatial relation/Abstract reasoning||5|
For KU affiliated colleges
- The admission notification for undergraduate pharmacy programs and other programs under the pharmacy department of KU is published in the major dailies or the website www.pharm.ku.edu.np.
- This generally happens during June/ July
- Firstly, students need to appear on the entrance examination. After qualifying for the entrance examination, students are called in for an interview.
- The interview tests the aptitude of students.
- Based on the entrance examination result and interview, students are provided admission.
- Attested copies of Mark sheets of Secondary and Higher Secondary education.
- An official document showing the average grades in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics OR Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Character certificates issued by the school last attended.
- Attested copy of citizenship
- Entrance examination certificate
- Certificate of Equivalence for international students or students with prior education from foreign institutions.
B Pharm. Colleges in Nepal
Bachelor of Pharmacy Colleges affiliated to TU in Nepal
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus IOM, Maharajgunj: 30 Seats
- National Model College for Advanced Learning (NMCAL): 36
- Kist Medical College
- Chitwan Medical College: 40 seats
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Sciences- Bhairahawa: 40 seats
- Gandaki Medical College, Pokhara: 38 seats
- Sunsari Technical College- Dharan: 30 seats
- Jana Maitri Foundation Institute of Health Sciences: 40 seats
- Gandaki Medical College
- Matrix College, Birgunj
- Little Angels College of Higher Studies (LACHS)
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital: 40 seats
Bachelor of Pharmacy Colleges affiliated to KU in Nepal
The only Institute which offers B. Pharm in Nepal under KU is Kathmandu University School of Science, Dhulikhel (60 seats).
Bachelor of Pharmacy Colleges affiliated to PU (Pokhara University) in Nepal
- Nobel College- Sinamangal, Kathmandu: 40 seats
- Crimson College of Technology- Rupandehi
- Modern Technical College- Sanepa, Lalitpur
- Pokhara University School of Health and Science, Pokhara, Kaski
- School of Health and Allied Sciences: 40 seats
- Central Institute of Science and Technology (CIST)- Baneshwor, Kathmandu: 40 seats
Bachelor of Pharmacy Colleges affiliated to Purbanchal University
- Valley College of Technical Sciences- Sitapaila, Kathmandu: 30 seats
- Nobel Academy- Kaski, Pokhara: 30 seats
- Karnali College of Health Sciences- Gaushala, Kathmandu: 30 seats
- Little Buddha College of Health Sciences- Min Bhawan, Kathmandu: 30 seats
- Asian College of Advanced Studies- Satdobato, Lalitpur: 30 seats
- Shree Medical and Technical College- Chitwan: 30 seats
- Hope International College- Satdobato- Lalitpur: 30 seats
- Kantipur Academy of Health Sciences- Tinkune, Kathmandu: 30 seats
- Purbanchal University College of Medical and Science- Morang: 30 seats
Fee structure for Bachelor of Pharmacy in Nepal
The cost of Bachelor of Pharmacy in Kathmandu University is NPR 5,80,000 for 4 years which is paid over 8 instalments for 8 semesters. For other universities as well, this cost ranges from NPR 5 lakhs to 8 lakhs for the full course.
Students with the best performance or highest marks in the examinations are given scholarships. Other than that, each college offers scholarships to 3 to 5 students each year.
Bachelor of Pharmacy Syllabus
B Pharm Syllabus in TU institutes
|B Pharm First Year||B Pharm Second Year|
|BP 401 A: Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology-Theory||BP 501 A: Pharmaceutics I (Physical Pharmacy)-Theory|
|BP 402 A: Biochemistry- Theory||BP 501 B: Pharmaceutics I (Physical Pharmacy)-Practical|
|BP 402 B: Biochemistry-Practical||BP 502 A: Medicinal Chemistry II-Theory|
|BP 403 A: Pharmaceutical Chemistry-Theory||BP 502 B: Medicinal Chemistry II-Practical|
|BP 403 B: Pharmaceutical Chemistry-Practical||BP 503 A: Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics-Theory|
|BP 404 A: Medicinal Chemistry I-Theory||Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics-Practical: BP 503 B|
|BP 404 B: Medicinal Chemistry I-Practical||BP 504 A: Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry-Theory|
|BP 405 A: Pharmacology I-Theory||BP 504 B: Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry-Practical|
|BP 405 B: Pharmacology I-Practical||BP 505 A: Pharmacology II-Theory|
|BP 406 A: Pharmaceutical Microbiology-Theory||BP 505 B2: Pharmacology II-Practical|
|BP 406 B: Pharmaceutical Microbiology-Practical||BP 506 A: Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance I-Theory|
|BP 506 B: Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance I -Practical|
|B Pharm Third Year||B Pharm Fourth Year|
|BP 601 A: Pharmaceutical Engineering-Theory||BP 701 A: Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy-Theory|
|BP 601 B: Pharmaceutical Engineering-Practical||BP 701 B: Clinical and Hospital Pharmacy-Practical|
|BP 602 A: Pharmaceutics II (Dosage Forms and Formulation) -Theory||BP 702 A: Pharmaceutical Management-Theory|
|BP 602 B: Pharmaceutics II (Dosage Forms and Formulation) -Practical||BP 703 A: Pharmaceutics III (Industrial Pharmacy) �Theory|
|BP 603 A: Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance II -Theory||BP 704 A: Pharmacotherapeutics-Theory|
|BP 603 B: Pharmaceutical Analysis and Quality Assurance II -Practical||BP 705 DT: Dissertation|
|BP 604 A: Ayurvedic and Herbal Technology-Theory||BP 706 IP: In-plant Training in Hospital +Industry|
|BP 604 B: Ayurvedic and Herbal Technology-Practical|
|BP 605 A: Biostatistics & Research Methodology-Theory|
B Pharm Syllabus in KU
Source: KU Brochure
The evaluation of the student’s performance is done via class participation, term papers, tests, assignments, presentations, practical, mini-projects and presentation of final-year project reports are used for the continuous In-semester evaluation, and End-semester examination. The grade system evaluation follows:
Some Colleges offering Diploma in Pharmacy in Nepal
- School of Medical Sciences (SMS)- Banasthali, Kathmandu
- Vinayak College of Health Sciences, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- All Nepal College of Technical Education, Battisputali, Kathmandu
- Amity Global Education (Lord Buddha College)- Gongabu, Kathmandu
- Bhageshwari Academy for Health Science- Dhangadhi, Kailali
- College of Medical Sciences (CMS), Bharatpur Chitwan.
- Kantipur Institute of Health Sciences, Pokhara
- Koshi Health Institute, Koshi Health & Science Campus
Scope of B. Pharm in Nepal
Since Pharmacists are involved in the production, storage, supply and dispensing of safe and effective medicines along with monitoring of drug effects, there are career opportunities for bachelor of pharmacy graduates throughout the world.
The scope and career opportunities of B. Pharm extends to fields such as
- Pharmacy (Manufacturing and Retail)
- Therapeutic Drug Monitoring
- Drug Therapeutic Committee
- Drug Research Laboratory
- Adverse Drug Reaction Monitoring Service
- Health Food Development
- Natural Medicine Resource Development
- Health Research Council
You can earn from NPR 20,000 a month to Npr 80,000 in a month after completing the B. Pharmacy as Pharmacist, Medical Transcription, Sales and Marketing, Quality Assurance / Control Manager, Teaching, Production, Research and Development. Some of the most popular employers include:
- Apex Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Genetica Laboratory Pvt. Ltd.
- Everest Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Grace Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- JJ Laboratories Pvt. Ltd.
- Kastari Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
- Nova Genetics Pharmaceuticals Pvt. Ltd.
You can also pursue Masters in pharmacy after completing the Bachelor of Pharmacy in Nepal.
- Master in Pharmacy (Industrial Pharmacy)
- Master in Pharmacy (Pharmaceutical Care)
- Master in Science by Research (Pharmaceutical Sciences)
- University (Education and Research)