Thanks to the increasing popularity of the computer science field in Canada, the Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada is a hot topic. Many national and international students are interested in pursuing a Bachelor of IT in Canada.
IT courses after 12th are offered by a number of Canadian universities and colleges like Centennial College, York University etc. The courses offered by these universities help international students learn about system administration, web interfaces, database systems, data analysis, scientific computing, developing apps, etcetera.
Information Technology and Computer science are among the fastest growing and highest paying sectors in the world.
Why study Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada
- Canada has a wide range of public and private universities and colleges offering bachelor of IT programs. Students have the flexibility to pick the program according to their academic profile and affordability.
- Canada offers a number of Bachelor of IT specializations like Communication, Networks, Information Systems, mechatronics, Data Analysis, Artificial Intelligence (AI) etc.
- Studying a bachelor of information technology in Canada, you will get hands-on experience through projects, case studies and internships thus preparing you for the real world.
- IT Graduates earn more than CAD 35 per hour in Canada. The starting salary that students get in the IT field after completing their degree is approximately CAD 50,000 per year.
- The job market in the field of computer science and Information technology is quite stable in Canada. In fact, it is increasing rapidly.
- Canadian IT degree is revered in other leading IT countries of the world like the USA. If you wish to, you can move to the USA after completing your bachelor of IT in Canada to pursue your career.
Bachelor of IT Universities in Canada
These are the best universities in Canada for the Computer Science program according to USNews.
|University of Canada||Rank in Canada||Global Ranking|
|University of Toronto||1||31|
|University of Waterloo||2||40|
|University of British Columbia||3||48|
|University of Montreal||4||70|
|University of Alberta||5||101|
|Simon Fraser University||7||168|
|University of Ottawa||10||236|
Bachelors of IT colleges in Canada for International Students
Canadian Colleges also offers a bachelor of IT courses to domestic and international students.
- Humber College
- Centennial College
- Seneca College
- Algonquin College
Besides the Bachelors of IT programs, these colleges also offer 1-3 years diploma programs in the fields of computer science and information technology.
Bachelor of IT courses in Canada for International Students
|Bachelor of IT and Networking course in Canada||University/ College offering the program||Location||Eligibility Requirement|
|BSc Hons in Information Security||University of Toronto||Toronto, Canada||IELTS: 6.5 and equivalent|
|Information Technology (BA)||York University||Toronto, Canada|
|BCom in Information Technology||York University||Toronto, Canada|
|Bachelors of Computing in Computing, Mathematics and Analytics||Queens University||Kingston, Canada|
|Honours Bachelor of Technology- Informatics and Security||Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology||Toronto, Canada|
|Bachelor of Information Technology (BIT)||Carleton University||Ottawa, Canada|
|BSc in Data Science||Western University||London, Canada|
|Bachelor of Information Technology- Network Technology (CO-OP)||Algonquin College||Ottawa, Canada|
|Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Data Science||Nipissing University||North Bay, Canada|
IT Diploma courses in Canada
These are few among the many IT course (diploma and graduate courses) provided by educational institutions in Canada.
- Ontario College Graduate Certificate Information Technology Network Security- Conestoga College
- Advanced Diploma in Technology Management- Red River College
- Graduate Certificate Cloud Computing- Cambrian College
- Ontario College Graduate Certificate in Project Management- Information Technology (Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology)
- Diploma in Digital Media and IT- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- Diploma in Library and Information Technology
- Ontario Graduate Certificate in Information Technology Solutions- Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning
- Diploma in Library and Information Technology- Saskatchewan Polytechnic
Bachelor of Information Technology Fees for international students in Canada
The tuition fees for a Bachelor of IT in Canada range from CAD 18,000 per year to CAD 40,000 per year.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada
To study Bachelor of IT in Canada, you first need to know about the admission requirements of the universities and assess whether you meet the eligibility criteria or not.
The eligibility criteria of Canadian universities are tougher than the eligibility requirements in the Canadian Colleges (discussed in detail below).
IELTS Requirement for Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada
International students need to demonstrate their English proficiency via one of the English proficiency tests like TOEFL or IELTS or PTE. To study the Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada, you need to score a minimum of 6.5 in IELTS with no band less than 6.
The equivalent score in other tests like TOEFL and PTE also counts. You need to visit the official website of the college or university and check the English language requirements of the program you are applying for, to be sure.
If you are applying for diploma courses related to computer science or Information Technology, the minimum requirement is overall 6.0 in IELTS with no sub-section less than 5.5. These diploma courses are also more affordable and shorter (1 to 3 years) compared to Bachelor of Information Technology courses in Canada.
Some Universities even demand SATs from students.
Academic Requirement to study Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada
Students need to complete 12 years of schooling to be eligible for a Bachelor of IT in Canada. They must pass intermediate level or high school level with atleast 55% to get enrolled in BIT degree in Canada.
Note, that the academic requirements for a Bachelor of IT in Universities are tougher than Bachelor of Information Technology in Colleges. Where the colleges, in general, demand a score of 55% in aggregate, the Canadian public Universities demand atleast 70% in aggregate in the intermediate level.
The exact academic requirements may differ from university to university. You can visit the official website and the program’s academic requirements for exact information.
This could provide you insight into admission requirements on the Bachelor of Information Technology program in Canadian Public Colleges.
- Bachelor of IT Course: Honours Bachelor of Information Technology (Computer and Communications Networks)
- Course duration: 4 years/ 9 semesters
- Academic Eligibility: Pass +2 with a minimum aggregate of 60% and mathematics as a curriculum at the intermediate level.
- IELTS/ TOEFL/PTE Requirement: 6.5 with a minimum score of 6.0 in each section/ 88 with a minimum of 22 in each section/ A minimum of 60 in PTE
- Annual tuition fees: CAD 8,742.74 for 2 semesters including ancillary fees (CAD 1596.24) and CAD 21589.74 for 2 semesters including ancillary fees (CAD 2,205.24)
Application Requirement to study Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada
To apply for a Bachelor of Information Technology in Canada, you need to meet the following criteria. As mentioned quite a few times above, note that application requirements are more stringent in Universities.
- Intermediate level transcript, provisional and character certificate.
- 10th level mark sheet and character certificate
- Application fees (CAD 95- CAD 150)
- English proficiency certificates
- Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation (especially if you are applying for universities)
- SATs if asked
- Proof of scholarship if any
Scope of IT in Canada
The areas of employment after graduation in IT: are IT Companies, Internet and Communication Services Providers (Rogers, Bell Telus), Banks, Hospitals, Governmental Institutions and agencies etc.
Some of the top recruiters of the Bachelor of Information Technology graduates in Canada are :
- D-Link Networks
- TD Canada Trust
- Herjavec Group
- CIBC Mellon Trust Company
- CIBC Technology & Operations
- Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd
- RBC Financial Group
- Falconbridge Ltd.
- Jatech Solutions Inc.
- Workbrain Inc.
- Financial Services Commission of Ontario
- Management Board Secretariat
- DMG World Media
- Getronics Canada
- Hitachi Canada Ltd
|Bachelor of IT Job Profile in Canada||Average Annual Salary (CAD)|
|Forensic computer analyst||74,334|
|Information systems manager||84,640|
|Search engine optimization (SEO) specialist||46,038|
|Business analyst, IT||66,247|
|Project manager, Information Technology (IT)||74,666|
|Business intelligence (BI) developer||72,852|
|Machine learning engineer||67,529|
|Quality assurance analyst||54,485|
|Information technology (IT) architect||92,469|
|Front end developer/engineer||57,768|
|Technical account manager||81,682|
|Program manager, IT||106,659|