Students from all over the world aspire to gain international education and join the medical field. The growing requirement of trained professionals in this field has inspired many to get a degree in nursing. Pursuing a master of nursing in Canada is a prudent option for international students. This domain is an ideal career path for any student who wants to pursue a career direction in the medical field.
Offering a great scope for building a streamlined career in the medical field, Canada has top-notch study programs and plenty of job opportunities for aspirants. Let’s dive right in to know more about the best universities and other requisites for pursuing the master of nursing in Canada.
Why study Masters’ of nursing in Canada?
Canada is a first-world country with a robust economy. Pursuing a master of nursing in Canada has numerous advantages for students as well as their careers. Here are a few benefits of opting for Canadian institutions:
● MSc Nursing in Canadian universities is globally accepted and recognized.
● The Universities also provide practical internships and real-time exposure for the students pursuing a master of nursing program in Canada.
● The process of getting a Visa is very simple which ensures a hassle-free lifestyle set up for nursing students in Canada.
● Canadian nursing universities are popular for supporting their students by providing flexibility in jobs and studies, which makes it easier for students to earn and learn simultaneously.
● Canadian Nursing Universities provide in-depth and practical knowledge of human anatomy and physiology along with career grooming skills, which stimulates the overall development of the students.
● Masters of nursing in Canada for international students provides them with a plethora of job opportunities, based on their profile.
Best Universities to study Masters of nursing in Canada
When you decide to pursue a course, then it becomes very important to choose the best university. Canadian nursing universities are famous for providing practical exposure along with theoretical knowledge. According to QS World Rankings of 2020, 10 nursing colleges of Canada are enlisted in the top 100 nursing colleges of the world.
The Nursing colleges in Canada provide two categories of nursing programs. The first category includes the MSN program, which is based on research while the second category is about the normal MSc course in nursing.
After intensive research, we have found the following universities that proffer the best on-field experience along with amazing academic skills to the students.
|Name of University||QS Subject-Wise Rankings|
|University of Toronto||07|
|University of Alberta||23|
|University of British Columbia||38|
Eligibility of Studying a Master in Nursing from Canada
An international student, who wants to pursue a master's in nursing in Canada, needs to conform to an eligibility criterion. According to it, an international student should:
● The student must have completed 10+2 education along with 4 years of bachelor’s degree.
● They should get 1 year of clinical working experience, as it will increase the chances of getting accepted into nursing colleges of Canada.
● The applicant also needs to provide a clear criminal record before applying to any university for admission.
● All candidates must have a Valid License for practising in Canada
Proficiency in Language
The students need to have a strong grasp of the spoken English language if they want to study in Canada. Students must get the minimum required score in TOEFL or in IELTS to become eligible for getting admission to the nursing college of Canada. Here are the acceptable Proficiency Test Scores for a few universities :
- University of Toronto- TOEFL: 93, IELTS: 7
- McGill University- TOEFL: 100, IELTS: 7.5
- University of Alberta- TOEFL: 97, IELTS: 7
- University of British Columbia- TOEFL: 100, IELTS: 6.5
- McMaster University - TOEFL: 97, IELTS: 7
Various specializations in masters of nursing in Canada
The nursing colleges of Canada offer various specialization options for international students to enhance their skills. It also helps in building a strong foundation by providing in-depth knowledge of the subject. If you plan on getting a nursing degree from Canada, then these are a few courses you can opt for:
● General Nursing
● Critical Care Nursing
● Family Nursing Practitioner
● Nursing administration
● Practical Nursing
● Community Mental Health
Average Fees for Studying Masters in Nursing from Canada
The MSc nursing in Canada fees varies depending upon the universities and related other factors like specialization.
|University||Fees [in USD]|
|University of Toronto||392000|
|University of Alberta||15150|
|University of British Columbia||7280|
The student should also calculate the other related living expenses to get a proper estimate of the total expenditure for pursuing the cost. The average cost of books and other study materials comes around 700 to 1500 USD per annum. While accommodation expenses for an international student are around 4,500 to 15,000 USD per annum, varying according to the city and place. Expenditure on food can be estimated at around 3000 to 4000 USD per annum.
Scholarships for International Students Studying Masters in Nursing in Canada
Canadian nursing colleges offer various scholarships and financial aids to support the students in their educational journey. Students can apply for these scholarships for covering their tuition fees and living expenses:
● Ontario Graduate Scholarship- This is a merit-based scholarship for international students that have a supporting amount of $10,847. It is provided for students who are pursuing a master's course.
● BrokerFish International Student Scholarship- It is also a merit-based scholarship given to international students who are pursuing masters. The students receive $1000 as a scholarship amount.
Admission Requirement for Masters in Nursing in Canada
For getting admission to the Master's program in nursing in Canada, the candidate needs to fulfil the following requirements;
- Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- Student study permit
- English proficiency test approval
- Cover letter and writing samples
- Statement of purpose
Job opportunities after Masters in nursing in Canada
Another common question asked by overseas education aspirants is- how much do masters of the nursing make in Canada? Let's discuss the job opportunities for students after they complete MSc nursing in Canadian universities:
● Critical Care Nursing: Under this, the professional staff is required to provide extensive medical and emotional support to the patients. The salary starts from USD 78,000 per annum.
● Gerontology: This nursing staff is appointed to assist senior citizens who are bedridden or have chronic ailments. The average earning point starts from USD 63,000.
● Nursing Leadership & Management: Professionals under this form strategies to provide optimal patient care. The salary ranges around USD 60,170.
● Palliative Care Help: Nurses are assigned to help patients with severe illnesses and mental stress with an average salary starting from USD 58,650.
● Coronary Care Nursing: As the name suggests, this nursing staff specializes in rendering the finest cardiovascular care and the salary starts with USD 56,400.
● Community Mental Health: Nurses are responsible for providing optimal mental healthcare assistance to the patients. The salary starts from USD 40,000.