Australia has been a hotspot for nursing aspirants all over the world thanks to the world-class universities, competent health care sector and impressive demand for nurses
The Nursing & Medical domain always brings bright career opportunities for aspiring students. The medical field not only provides good financial stability but also holds a lot of honour and respect.
Furthermore, the world has experienced a significant increase in demand for the finest trained nursing staff.
With an exponential economy, Australia is one of the best places to go if you wish to pursue Masters of Nursing.
It provides various opportunities for the students as well as professionals. That’s why studying master of nursing in Australia is a clever decision for students.
Let's discuss all the important details regarding the master of nursing in Australia in detail including the top universities offering the nursing program in Australia, the eligibility criteria to study master of Nursing in Australia, the scope after the master of Nursing in Australia and so o.
Why Study Master of Nursing in Australia?
The master's program of nursing in Australia has various advantages for students, which helps them create a stronger career. Few other benefits are:
The international students will find some of the best higher education institutions in Australia for masters in Nursing. With more than 40 top listed universities, the authorized system focuses on fostering better education for each and every aspiring learner.
Students have a lot of options to choose from, even in different types of course.
All students, studying in Australian universities, will be allowed to undertake different internships based on their course choice. However, students will also have to check in with their respective universities to understand the requirements.
After completing your Masters in Nursing from Australia, you will have tons of job opportunities in your chosen field and specialization. Offering numerous well-paid jobs, finding one that suits you will be easy.
Some of the best-paid profiles for Nursing in Australia are stated in the later sections along with their average salary.
Best Courses to pursue in Master of Nursing
Masters of nursing is a postgraduate course that also offers various specializations for the students. Every specialization comes with its perks and strong career domain. Here are some of the best master courses in nursing from Australia:
- Master of Advanced Nursing- It is a 1.5 years long course if done in full-time mode while a 3 years long course is done part-time.
- Master of Nurse Practitioner- it is a 3-year part-time course.
- Master of nursing [general] – it is a 2-year long course.
- Master of nursing practice- the duration of the course is 2 years
- Masters of Advanced Nursing Practice [mental health]- the course duration is 1.5 years.
- Master of Nursing Studies- it is a 2-year course.
- Master of Clinical Nursing- it is a 2-year program.
Best Universities of Australia to Study Master of Nursing
There are approximately 30 top-notch universities in Australia which offer the best master's degree program in nursing. We have found some of the best universities for studying a master in nursing in Australia:
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of Sydney
- Monash University
- University of Melbourne
- Deakin University
Master of Nursing specializations in Australia
If you are planning to study Master of Nursing in Australia, then you must know there are different types of courses. A few of the available options are:
● Science in Nursing
● Clinical Nursing
● Advanced Nursing
● Nursing Practice
Tuition Fees for Master of Nursing in Australia
The master's program in nursing in Australia is very popular among native as well as international students. Fees of pursuing the master's course in Australia depends on various factors like university, region, city, major, etc. The tuition fees of top universities in Australia for a master's degree generally ranges between AUD 50,000 to AUD 80,000 and above.
Here is a table stating course fees required by respective universities:
|University/College Name||Annual fees of the course in AUD|
|University of Technology Sydney||AUD 36870|
|University of Sydney||AUD 40,000 to AUD 50,000|
|Monash University||AUD 29,000|
|University of Melbourne||AUD 21,888|
|Deakin University||AUD 35,200|
Admission Eligibility for Master of Nursing in Australia
These requirements and documents are compulsory for any international student to take admission in his or her desired university:
Need of English Proficiency Test for Master of Nursing
Any international must score a fixed minimum level mark in English proficiency tests. The universities require a minimum score in the English proficiency test to get admission to the master of nursing in Australia.
The IELTS score generally ranges from 6.5 to 7.0 in the leading institutions.
Australian University samples for master of Nursing requirements
University of Technology Sydney
● Duration: 2 years (full-time) or 4 years (part-time)
o Complete Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Qualification
o Nurse Registration from their country & Proof that the student is Authorized for Practice
o Complete Academic Transcripts- Original Certificates and Degree along with translated versions (if needed)
o English Proficiency Test- IELTS (7.0) & TOEFL iBT (94 to 101)
o Proof of Work Experience (if any)
o Reference Letters from the last Employer
o Student’s Portfolio
o Medical Certificate (if the student has an ongoing medical issue)
● Application Intake: Autumn Session (January), Spring Session (April), & Summer Session (October)
● Application Fees: AUD 100
University of Sydney
● Duration: 2 years (full-time)
o Letter of Recommendation (minimum 2) (Academic preferred)
o Complete and Translated copies of Transcripts
o English Proficiency Test- IELTS (6.5 to 6.0)
● Application Intake: Semester 1 (January) or Semester 2 (June)
● Application Fees: AUD 125
● Duration: 2 years (full-time)
- o Applicant should be of 17 years age minimum
- o Copy of Student Visa
- o Proof of Work Experience & Letter of Recommendations
- o Official Transcripts and English-translated versions if needed
- o English Proficiency Test- IELTS (6.5), TOEFL (79), PTE (58), & GRE (304)
- o Applicants will also have to appear for a Telephonic Interview with the Selection Panel member.
- o Required 3 years minimum Work Experience for all students.
● Application Intake: Winter (July) & Summer (January)
● Application Fees: AUD 100
University of Melbourne
● Duration: 1-2 years (Based on Course Choice)
o Complete Undergraduate Degree in the relevant course or other Equivalent Qualification
o Work Experience in related fields
o Minimum 1-year Clinical experience of working as a Registered Nurse (required only in some courses)
o Scores from English Proficiency Test- TOEFL (PBT- 577), TOEFL (iBT - 79), and IELTS (6.5)
● Application Intake: Varies based on the Course Selected. Check the Official Website.
● Application Fees: 100 AUD
● Duration: 1-2 years (full-time) (Depending on Course Selected)
o Complete Bachelor’s Degree or Equivalent Qualification in the related or non-relevant field
o Proof of Academic Capability & Work Experience (if any)
o English Language Proficiency Scores- IELTS, TOEFL, PTE. Check Official Website.
● Application Intake: Fall (February), Winter (November), & Summer (July)
● Application Fees: No Fees (for applications sent through Online Portal)
General Requirement for the Application Process
Any international student who wants to study master's in nursing in Australia or must fulfil the given criteria. These requirements can slightly vary depending upon the concerned university norm.
Here, we are mentioning the requirements of the best universities of Australia to study nursing programs in Australia:
● Complete Undergraduate Degree in Nursing or Relevant Course
● English Proficiency Test (IELTS) results with eligible scores
● Work Experience Proof (if any)
● Academic Performance Proof
Lastly, the applicants must have tertiary level knowledge of Human Anatomy. And they will be asked to appear for interviews and tests. However, it depends on the university they have selected and its requirements.
Scholarships for Studying a Master of Nursing in Australia
For supporting the education of students there are various scholarships available for financing their studies. Some of the universities also provide scholarships and relaxation schemes.
International students can also find various non-governmental as well as government scholarships for supporting their study expenditure. A few of them are:
- Hannah Barry Memorial Award by University of Melbourne- AUD 1400
- International House Entrance Scholarship by University of Sydney- AUD 10,000
- Monash International Merit Scholarship by Monash University- AUD 50,000
- Vice-Chancellor’s International scholarship by Deakin University- AUD 100% to 50% of tuition fees
- Australian Awards Scholarships by University of Technology Sydney- AUD full tuition fees
Job Opportunities after Master of Nursing in Australia
Nursing is an ever-evolving field and students can discover plenty of opportunities for building their careers.
By opting for different specializations they can choose among a wide spectrum of job prospects. Here, we are listing some of the best job profiles after masters in nursing with their annual income:
● Acute Care Nurse (AUD 76,8000)
● Head Nurse (AUD 78,3000)
● Nursing Supervisor (AUD 87,600)
● Occupational Therapist (AUD 117,000)
● Nursing Service Instructor (AUD 81,900)
● Critical Care Nurse (AUD 78,800)
PR Opportunities in Australia
In Australia, Nursing is listed in the Short-term Skilled Occupation List. However, it is also included in the Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List.
For Masters of Nursing bring people closer to obtaining Permanent Residency in Australia. their application approval relies on the work experience, degree, and applicant’s specialization.