The USA is a highly favoured study-abroad destination owing to several factors, such as renowned universities, world-class faculty, practical skill development, and extensive research-based learning programs. These attributes have made the US the most sought-after option for studying abroad globally.
Every year, many Nepali students pursue higher education at colleges and universities in the USA. According to the latest Open Doors Report by the Institute of International Education (IIE) and the US Department of State Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs, Nepal ranks 12th for undergraduate and graduate students in the US, with over 13,229 enrolled students.
Notably, Nepal has the highest growth rate in sending students to the US, positioning the country among the top 25 sending nations.
Why study in the USA?
Studying in the USA has several advantages, making it a popular destination for international students. Some reasons students choose to study in the USA are:
- High-quality education: The USA is home to some of the world's top-ranked universities and colleges, known for providing high-quality education and world-class research facilities.
- A diverse range of programs: American universities offer various programs across different fields, providing students with various options.
- Academic flexibility: The US education system allows students to customise their academic schedules and choose courses that interest them, giving them greater academic flexibility.
- Opportunity to develop language skills: Studying in an English-speaking country like the USA allows students to improve their language skills and become fluent in English, a valuable skill in today's globalised world.
- Cultural exchange: Studying in the USA allows cultural exchange, allowing students to interact with people from different backgrounds and learn about new cultures.
- Career opportunities: The USA has a strong job market, and studying there provides students with opportunities to network with professionals and potentially secure internships or job offers.
- Scholarships and funding opportunities: There are various scholarships and funding opportunities available for international students studying in the USA, making it more affordable for them to pursue their education.
American Education System:
The education system in America is vast, with over 4,500 institutions and universities providing a wide range of tertiary-level study options. It offers 10 times more opportunities than any other country, making it easy for students to pursue their career goals by selecting from numerous options. Additionally, students want to advance their education further. In that case, they can opt for a Master's degree, which usually takes two additional years, or a Doctorate, which can take one to four additional years, in an extensive array of disciplines.
Choosing a university or course to study in the US
Choosing a university or course to study in the US can be daunting. Still, it can be a rewarding experience with careful planning and research. Here are some factors to consider when deciding:
- Program of Study: Determine what subject area you want to study and research the top universities that offer programs in that field. Check if the university has a strong reputation in that study area and has the resources, equipment, and faculty needed for your research.
- Location: Consider the university's location, including the state, city, and neighbourhood. Research the area's cost of living, transportation, and cultural opportunities. Make sure that the location is a good fit for your personality, lifestyle, and goals.
- Size: Consider the size of the university and its student body. Some students prefer a smaller, more intimate campus, while others enjoy the vibrancy and diversity of a more prominent university. Consider what kind of learning environment you prefer and what campus culture you want to be part of.
- Cost: Research the tuition, room and board, and other expenses at the universities you are considering. Look for scholarships, grants, and other financial aid that can help you cover the costs. Consider the return on investment and the potential earnings you can expect after graduation.
- Faculty: Research the faculty members who teach in your program of study. Look for professors who are well-respected in their field and have strong research backgrounds. Check if the faculty is accessible, supportive, and approachable and if they are actively involved in mentoring students.
Cost to Study in the USA from Nepal
In the US; universities can be classified into two main categories: public/state and private institutions. Public/state universities generally have lower tuition fees compared to private ones. The cost of education will depend on the degree program and the specific university or school you choose.
Tuition fees in USD (Tentative)
English language studies
$700 to $2,000 a month
$6,000 to $20,000 per year
$20,000 to $40,000 per year
$20,000 to $45,000 per year
$28,000 to $55,000 per year
Scholarships to study in the USA
The available amount of money and the type of award can vary significantly between institutions. Some research programs may cover up to 100% of the tuition fee and provide financial support for living expenses.
There are multiple funding opportunities you can use, to name a few:
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program,
- Golden Key Graduate Scholar Award
- IEFA Non-Government Scholarship
- QS Undergraduate Scholarship
- QS Leadership Scholarship for Excellence
- QS Leadership Scholarship
Visa application for the USA from Nepal
You must follow a specific sequence of steps to obtain a US student visa. Here is a brief overview:
- Please consult an education counsellor: Register with studyinfocentre and talk to one of our experienced education counsellors. They can help you select the right course and university based on your interests and goals. You can also self-apply
- Apply to institutions: Once you've decided on a university or college, we can assist you with the application process. (You can also self-apply.) We have established relationships with many institutions in the US, so we can help make the process easier and smoother.
- Take an English proficiency test: Most US universities require international students to demonstrate their proficiency in English. You can take an IELTS or other accepted English test, and your score will be submitted with your application.
- Receive an I-20 document: Once accepted to a US institution, you'll receive an I-20 form from the school. This document is necessary for your visa application and shows that you've been accepted and can afford to attend the school.
- Collect student visa documents: You'll need to gather all the necessary documents for your visa application, including your I-20 form, passport, and financial documents.
- Fill out the DS-160 form and book a visa interview: You'll need to complete the DS-160 form online and pay the application fee. Once you've completed the form, you can schedule an interview at a US embassy or consulate.
- Attend the visa interview: During the interview, you'll be asked questions about your education, financial situation, and ties to your home country. You'll need to convince the visa officer that you intend to study in the US and return to your home country after completing your studies.
- Collect your passport: If your visa application is approved, you'll be given a date to collect your passport with the student visa. Once you have the visa, you can make travel arrangements and prepare for your studies in the US.
Documents required for Admission
- Academic Documents
- SLC Mark sheet
- School Leaving Certificate
- SLC Character Certificate
- Transcript of 12th-grade
- Individual Mark sheet of 12th grade
- Character Certificate of 12th grade
- Provisional Certificate of 12th grade
- Migration Certificate of 12th grade
For Masters, include the following:
- Transcript of Bachelor's Degree
- Individual Mark sheets of Bachelor's Degree
- Character Certificate of Bachelor Degree
- Provisional Certificate of Bachelor Degree
- Migration Certificate of Bachelor Degree
- TEST scores (SAT, GRE/GMAT, IELTS, TOEFL)
- Work Experience (if any)
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
- Marriage Certificate (if applicable)
- College Recommendation (if a current student)
Student Health Cover in the USA
Healthcare in the United States can be expensive, and medical treatment can result in high costs without insurance. As an international student on an F1 visa, it is not a requirement by the government to have health coverage. However, most universities and colleges will require you to have health insurance coverage. In some rare cases, even if your school doesn't require it, it is still strongly recommended that you purchase health insurance to ensure access to necessary medical services while studying in the United States. Choosing a health insurance plan that fits your needs and activities is crucial to ensure you are adequately covered.
Best Places to Study in the USA from Nepal
From Boston to San Francisco, Los Angeles to Chicago, and Atlanta to New York, you'll find top-ranked universities in almost every state. Some cities are featured in the top 100 QS Best Student Cities 2019 rankings, offering international exposure, industry engagement opportunities, and valuable professional connections.
Apart from quality education, studying in the US allows you to experience diverse cultures and lifestyles, making you a global citizen. Boston, for instance, is known as the student capital of the US, with over 20% of students being from overseas. Of course, living costs vary from city to city, but with intelligent planning, students can enjoy a fulfilling and enriching study experience in the US.
Managing your expenses while living in the US
Living expenses in the US can vary greatly depending on where you reside. To provide a rough estimate, your yearly expenses range from $10,000 to $12,000, covering essentials such as emergencies, groceries, electricity, internet, books, clothes, water, and study material.
Average yearly cost (Can vary depending on the city and personal lifestyle)
Books and Stationery
Clothes and footwear