Bachelor of Information Technology (IT) in UK: Top Universities & Colleges, Fees, Eligibility, Scholarships, Jobs
Information Technology (IT) is one of the most dynamic and rapidly growing industries across the world. Given the increasing demands for new and better technology with each passing day, demands for IT professionals seem growing accordingly
If you see yourself as part of the robust IT industry, earning a degree in information technology from the UK (United Kingdom) can bring in many opportunities for you.
The UK has some of the best universities and colleges in the world. And regarding bachelor of information technology in the UK, it is merely a hotspot for IT courses and international jobs.
The Bachelor program in IT in the UK is basically a 3-4 years degree program that offers you a wide variety of bachelor of information technology subjects.
These subjects include operating systems to data management systems, e-commerce, networking, cybersecurity, cloud computing, etcetera.
By reading this article, you will get answers to many of your queries about pursuing a Bachelor of IT in the UK.
Similarly, you will get an idea of the best IT courses in the UK for international students, the best universities in the UK for information technology, eligibility requirements for a bachelor of IT, UK's IT courses fees, scholarships for international students, IT jobs and more.
Benefits of studying Bachelors of IT in UK
Before applying to any of the IT programs in the UK, you might want to know if a UK bachelor degree in information technology is worth it. The answer is a Yes!
Thanks to the higher education system in the UK that has set a standard for higher education in the rest of the countries for more than a century now.
Therefore, obtaining a UK bachelor degree in IT would be a magnificent opportunity for an international student.
- There are 52 top computer science colleges and universities offering bachelor of IT in the UK. This gives students wider options to choose from.
- The British universities offer a range of courses and programs on information technology. You may opt for any of the available courses meeting your interest.
- Given the internationally reputed education system of the UK, the bachelor degree in IT from UK universities undeniably has global recognition and employment prospects worldwide
- IT programs in the UK prioritise practical training over theoretical learning. Therefore, on completion of the degree, an IT student would be career-ready.
- UK universities providing bachelor degrees in IT have modern labs, well-equipped with the latest technologies and devices. You become familiar with the new advancements while you are still studying and therefore enhance your skill sets prior to joining the industry.
- IT is one of the highest paying jobs in the UK. The average starting salary for an IT graduate in the UK is around GBP 30,000 annually- regardless of your specialisation.
- The UK is regarded as the second most crucial tech hub after the US with enormous job opportunities.
- There is a high demand for IT experts, web developers and programmers. IBM, KPMG, TalkTalk, Hyperlink InfoSystem, TechArt Group are renowned companies in the UK.
Deciding where and which course to study in the UK would be easier if you have more information on IT course structure, tuition fees and scholarships. You will get a hint about them in the later sections of this article.
Best universities for information technology UK
Most of the IT universities in the UK offer the best information technology courses and specialisations. However, knowing about the best UK university for information technology would be a cherry on the top.
The QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021 features 651 institutions on computer science all over the world. Among them, 52 universities and colleges are listed from the UK.
This information might be overwhelming for you to decide which would be the best university to study bachelor of IT in the UK.
To help you deal with the confusion, listed below are the top 10 universities in the UK for information technology as ranked by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2021.
|University in UK||QS Ranking|
|University of Oxford||6|
|University of Cambridge||8|
|Imperial College London||16|
|University College London (UCL)||23|
|University of Edinburgh||26|
|King's College London||62|
|University of Manchester||66|
|University of Warwick||96|
|University of Bristol||145|
Of the top 100 universities in the world, University of Oxford is ranked second after MIT (US) by QS World University Ranking 2021 while is first on list by the Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2021.
Among these universities, University College London (UCL) is a global leader in experimental research while Imperial College London is known for studies in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Visual Information Processing (VIP).
Likewise, if you want to excel in fundamental demanding situations in robotics, King's College London might be your choice.
Hence, selecting any of these universities presents you diverse and significant opportunities to fulfill your career dream.
Bachelor of IT courses in UK Universities
Most of the popular universities in the UK offer BSc and BSc (Hons) degrees in computer science.
Some of the best bachelor of IT courses in demand are:
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Business Analytics
- Computer Science
- Cyber Security
- Data Science
- Internet of Things (IoT)
- Machine Learning and Machine Intelligence
- Software Engineering
There are also options available with these degrees. Based on your qualifications and desired course, you will have options for IT program as :
· Full time (3 years)
· Part time (4-5 years)
· Top-up (1 year) or
· With Foundation Year (4 years)
Bachelor of Information Technology fees in the UK
The moment you get an answer to your question- "How much does a bachelor's degree in information technology cost in the UK?"- You will be a step closer to university selection for an undergraduate course in IT.
For an international student, expenses begin with the preparations in the home country summing up with living cost and tuition fees in the destination country.
As per online sources, the average annual cost of an undergraduate degree for an international student is estimated to be around GBP 12,000. However, computer science/IT programs can cost significantly higher.
If you pay for segregated studies, the average degree will cost you GBP 36,000 over three years or GBP 48,000 for a four-year program.
Mentioned below are tentative tuition fees for bachelors of IT in UK for international students
|University||Annual Fee (GBP)|
|Leeds Beckett University||12951|
|Oxford Brookes University||13024|
|Edinburgh Napier University||13315|
|University of Hertfordshire||13388|
|Anglia Ruskin University||14043|
|Queen's University Belfast||14407|
|University Of Greenwich||14480|
|University of Birmingham||23400|
With this estimate of the study cost of bachelor in information technology in the UK universities, you may have roughly drawn your budget by now.
Nevertheless, it should also be kept in mind that the tuition fee varies with places, institutions, and the program or type of degree you opt to pursue. Thus, confirmation and validation of cost and other information on websites or via direct correspondence is recommended.
General Eligibility for Bachelors of Information Technology in the UK
To get enrolled in Bachelors in Information Technology in the UK universities/colleges, students are required to meet specific academic requirements.
The academic requirement to study IT in UK for International students
- Passed 10+2 or equivalent board with minimum 55%- 60% or 2.4- 2.6 CPPA (C) (Mathematics can be requisite in certain universities).
- University/college students with IT program Diplomas and HNDs are also taken into consideration for advanced entry on a case-by-case basis, subject to admissions assessment)
IELTS Requirement to study IT in UK for International Students
1. English Language Proficiency Test score acceptable as per the university criteria (IELTS- 6 overall 5.5 in each component; PTE- 52 overall with 51 in each section; TOEFL iBT - overall 72 with a minimum 18 in Reading, 17 in Listening and Writing and 20 in Speaking)
2. All English proficiency tests requirements are also different. However, various educational institutions have restrictions that prospective students must meet and usually exceed the requirements for obtaining a study visa
Apply for Bachelor of IT in the UK
Applying for the bachelor of IT program you aspire to study in the particular university you have chosen is the crucial step you will be taking.
Therefore, it is inevitable to know and prepare all the required documents as specified by the university. Preparing documents would be easier if you are aware of program duration, cost, academic requirements, syllabus, etcetera.
Students are required to submit the following documents while submitting an admission application.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of Citizenship ID card
- 10th Marksheet and character certificate
- 12th Marksheet, transcript, and character certificate.
- LOR(Letter of Recommendation)
- SOP(Statement of Purpose)
- Certificate of award or scholarship (if sponsored from home country)
- Proof of finances to bear the tuition fee
- Copy of Passport.
- IELTS/ TOEFL iBT/PTE score proof
Affordable IT universities/colleges in UK for international students
The fees of studying for a bachelor of IT in the UK may seem to be quite costly for international students. On the contrary, there are a number of universities with affordable IT courses in the UK.
|UK University||Annual Fee (in Pound)|
|Liverpool Hope University||10404|
|University of Derby||10914|
|University of Bedfordshire||10914|
|Edge Hill University||11132|
|Birmingham City University||11132|
|The University of the West of Scotland||11423|
|University of Wolverhampton||11569|
|London South Bank University||11641|
|University of West London||11787|
|Sheffield Hallam University||18690|
|The University of West of England||13500|
|Oxford Brook University||15200|
You may find your desired IT course in any of these affordable universities and get enrolled for a fulfilling educational experience.
UK Scholarships for bachelor in information technology
"Scholarships for international students to study in the UK" might be something you too have googled for. If you have, you have understood how the opportunity can transform students' lives.
Receiving financial assistance could help you achieve your dream. Additionally, it adds more responsibilities.
In the UK, along with universities, private and public organizations, the UK government itself offers numerous fully-funded scholarships, bursaries and specific financial assistance to international students.
Here are some scholarships on bachelors of IT for international students in the UK:
- Cambridge Gates Scholarship
- Rhodes Scholarships at the University Of Oxford
- Edinburgh Global Research Scholarships
- Denys Holland Scholarship at University College London
- Bristol University International Office Scholarships
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
- Bristol University Think Big Scholarships
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships
- University of Westminster Undergraduate Scholarships for Developing Country Students
Job Opportunities after bachelors in Information Technology in UK
IT is a vast industry with optimal flexibility in both specializations and the job market. You have choices and prospects in all directions.
The UK's IT industry employs more than a million IT professionals. As per the recent survey, at a minimum 53% of IT professionals have received at least one bonus in the UK.
Therefore, once you complete your degree and are confident to have secured all the required technical skills and knowledge, you are ready to dig into the industry.
In line with your specialization and passion, you would be able to start out from among the best career options.
- Software Engineer
- Applications Development
- Python Developer
- Data Scientist
- Cybersecurity Specialist
- Hardware Engineer
- Data Analysis and Analytics
- Content Management
- System and Network Management
- Software Architect
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Java Developer
- Database and Linux Administrator
An annual review of graduate vacancies and starting salaries at the UK's leading employers has revealed that in 2020-2021, the number of vacancies in the IT sector has increased by 15 % than that of previous years.
Similarly, median starting salaries have also risen in the IT field. As per which some IT companies in the UK have raised their starting salaries for IT professionals up to GBP 45,000 from the median range of GBP 30,000.
As mentioned, how much you earn depends upon your specialized skills and demand in the field. However, with your experience, skills and roles, you keep growing and so does your income.
Additionally, bachelors in Information Technology also opens the door for further study. You always have an option to widen and enhance your overall scope with a Master degree or even doctoral programs in IT and related fields.