Master of Dental Surgery in Nepal is a 2-year dental course at the graduate level. This course, also called MDS, is offered by a few colleges in Nepal.
Nevertheless, plenty of specialisations are available so that students can gain theoretical knowledge and practice as well as clinical skills required to be successful dental surgeons.
This course costs from NPR 8 Lakhs to NPR 25 Lakhs in Nepal, depending on the university. This course deals with oral health, tooth jaws, dental surgeries, artificial replacement, gums infections etc.
Eligibility Criteria for Master of Dental Surgery in Nepal
- Applicants must complete a Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) or equivalent bachelor's degree with a minimum of 50%.
- Applicants need to be registered with Nepal Medical Council and have one year of clinical experience post-completion of BDS.
- Applicants need to appear for the entrance examination and pass the test. Students are selected based on their merit level.
If you are a foreign candidate planning to do a Master of Dental Surgery in Nepal, you need to meet these criteria:
- The candidate must be duly registered as a practitioner in their own country, and the degree needs to be recognized by the Medical/ Dental Council in the respective country.
- Applicants must provisionally register with NMC for their study period exclusively for the college/ institution they are admitted.
- Applicants must face a competitive examination conducted by the University and pass with 50%.
Students are selected off the merit list for the MDS Programme in Nepal.
MDS Entrance Exam
- 200 Multiple Choice Questions (A, B, C, D)
- Duration: 3 hours, including 2-time voluntary toilet break
- Clinical Dental Sciences Subjects (Oral Medicine and Radiology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Periodontics, Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry), Prosthodontics and Maxillofacial Prosthetics, Public Health Dentistry, Community Medicine and Biostatistics, Oral Pathology and Microbiology, Dental Implantology)--- 130 marks.
- Basic Medical Science (Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Oral Biology, Dental Materials, Forensic Odontology, General Medicine, General Surgery, Anesthesia, NMC CPD Topics)--- 70 marks
MDS Specializations in Nepal
- Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Oral Pathology
- Periodontology and Oral Implantology
MDS fees in Nepal
MDS at Kathmandu University
The Master of Dental Surgery course duration at Kathmandu University is 3 years. At KU, the fee structure of MDS is NPR 10,48,135 for basic Sciences and NPR 22,99,000 for clinical sciences.
The fee structure is as follows -
University fee: NRs. 2,24,000/- (to the University at the time of admission)
First-Year Tuition Fee: NRs. 5,42,334/- (to the University at the time of admission)
Second Year Tuition fee: NRs. 7,66,333/- (by the beginning of the second year)
Third Year Tuition fee: NRs. 7,66,333 – (by the beginning of the third year)
University fee: NRs. 2,04,135/- (to the University at the time of admission)
First-Year Tuition Fee: NRs. 1,45,244/- (to the University at the time of admission)
Second Year Tuition fee: NRs. 3,49,378/- (by the beginning of the second year)
Third Year Tuition fee: NRs. 3,49,378/- (by the beginning of the third year)
Total Tuition Fee: NRs. 22,99,000/-
Total Tuition Fee: NRs. 10,48,135/-
Note that the hostel fee is NPR 3,500 per month.
Students are selected for the MDS program at KUSMUS based on entrance examination and counselling.
MDS fees at TU Institute
Depending upon the nature of the college- private or public- the fees for the MDS program under TU ranges around 8 Lakhs to 25 Lakhs.
List of MDS Colleges in Nepal
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences
- Peoples Dental College, Balaju, Kathmandu
- Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) in conservative and Endodontics
- MDS in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) in Periodontology and Implantology
- MDS in Prosthodontics and Maxillofacial Prosthesis.
- BP Koirala Institute of Health Sciences (BPKIHS), Dharan Sunsari
- Master of Dental Surgery (MDS)
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital (UCMS), Bhairahawa, Rupandehi
- MDS Conservation Dentistry and Endodontics
- MDS in Orthodontics
- Kantipur Dental College (KDC), Basundhara, Kathmandu
- MDS Community Dentistry
- MDS Oral Pathology
- MDS Orthodontics
- MDS Prosthodontics
Scope of Master of Dental Surgery in Nepal
The scope of the Master of Dental Surgery or any other medical course is enormous, given the importance of the medical field. After completing a Master of Dental Surgery in Nepal, graduates can work in private hospitals, government hospitals or their clinics and ventures.
- Dental Surgeon
- Dental hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Medical Representative
- Dental Lab technician
- Private Practitioner
- Forensic and Oral Pathologists
- General Dentist
Dental surgeons earn from NPR 50,000 to NPR 2 Lakhs per month in these jobs. Interested students can also go abroad for job opportunities and further studies.