If you are an international student planning to pursue a Master's degree in Canada and have an IELTS score of 6, you're in luck! In this blog, we will list Canadian colleges that accept IELTS Band 6 for Masters's programs and other important information you need to know.
Why study in Canada?
- High-Quality Education: Canada is renowned for its world-class education system, which offers high-quality programs and degrees recognised globally.
- Multicultural Environment: Canada is a welcoming and diverse country that celebrates different cultures and offers international students a safe and friendly environment.
- Affordable Education: The cost of education in Canada is relatively lower compared to other English-speaking countries like the US and the UK.
- Employment Opportunities: Canadian universities and colleges offer co-op programs, internships, and work-study options that help students gain practical experience and improve their chances of finding employment after graduation.
- Research Opportunities: Canada is a research-oriented country that invests heavily in research and innovation. Studying in Canada offers excellent research opportunities for students to work with leading academics and researchers.
- Quality of Life: Canada is consistently ranked as one of the best countries in the world for its high quality of life, health care, and social benefits.
- Post-Graduation Work Permits: International students who complete their studies in Canada can apply for a post-graduation work permit, which allows them to work in Canada for up to three years after graduation.
IELTS Band Score for Studying in Canada
International students must prove their English proficiency by achieving a specific IELTS band score to study in Canada. The IELTS band score is between 0 and 9, reflecting the individual's ability to communicate in English. This score is obtained by averaging the scores from the various components of the IELTS exam. For example, if individuals score 7 on the reading component, 8 on the listening component, 7 on the writing component, and 7.5 on the speaking component, their overall IELTS band score would be 7.375, rounded to 7.5.
In Canada, most universities and colleges require a minimum IELTS band score of 6 or 6.5 for admission into their undergraduate programs, while graduate programs may require a score of 7 or higher. The higher the score, the better the chances of getting admission into a good program.
The IELTS band score is categorised into different levels, each indicating a different English proficiency level. A score of 9 indicates an expert level, 8 is an excellent level, 7 is proficient, 6 is competent, and 5 is modest. A higher band score not only improves one's chances of being admitted into a program but also increases the opportunities for scholarships and financial aid.
Top Colleges that accept 6 band
Sure, here's an overview of each college, along with the programs they offer and their estimated fees:
Located in Oshawa, Ontario, Durham College offers a variety of certificate, diploma, and degree programs in areas such as business, media, technology, health, and engineering. Some popular programs include business administration, computer programming, nursing, and culinary management. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 14,000 to CAD 22,000 per year, depending on the program.
Niagara College is a public college located in the Niagara Region of Ontario. It offers over 130 certificate, diploma, and degree programs in business, hospitality, tourism, technology, and health sciences. Some popular programs include business administration, computer engineering technology, culinary management, and nursing. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 14,000 to CAD 17,000 per year, depending on the program.
Oxford College is a private career college with campuses in Toronto and Scarborough, Ontario. It offers certificate and diploma programs in healthcare, business, law enforcement, and technology. Some popular programs include medical office assistant, paralegal, and network engineering. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 10,000 to CAD 25,000, depending on the program.
College of New Caledonia is a public college in Prince George, British Columbia. It offers a range of certificate, diploma, and degree programs in areas such as business, health sciences, trades, and technology. Some popular programs include business administration, practical nursing, and welding. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 14,000 to CAD 16,000 per year, depending on the program.
Camosun College is a public college located in Victoria, British Columbia. It offers certificate, diploma, and degree programs in business, health, trades, and technology. Some popular programs include business administration, dental hygiene, and computer science. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 14,000 to CAD 16,000 per year, depending on the program.
HEC Montreal is a French-language business school located in Montreal, Quebec. It offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs in areas such as management, finance, marketing, and accounting. Some popular programs include Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA), Master of Science (MSc), and MBA. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 30,000 to CAD 45,000 per year, depending on the program.
Vancouver Island University:
Vancouver Island University is a public university located in Nanaimo, British Columbia. It offers undergraduate and graduate business, arts, health sciences, and education programs. Some of the popular programs include Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Nursing, Bachelor of Education (BEd), and Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology. The estimated tuition fees for international students range from CAD 15,000 to CAD 20,000 per year, depending on the program.
The University of Lethbridge is a public research university in Lethbridge, Alberta. It offers undergraduate and graduate arts, science, management, education, and health sciences programs. Some of the popular programs include a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Computer Science, a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Psychology, and a Master of Business Administration (MBA). The estimated tuition fees for international students range from $18,444 to $21,834 per year for undergraduate programs and $5,367 to $12,687 per year for graduate programs, depending on the program of study. The university also offers various scholarships and bursaries to international students based on academic excellence and financial need.
List out the academic requirements to apply for MS in Canada
The academic requirements to apply for MS in Canada can vary depending on the university and program you are applying to. However, here are some general academic requirements that most universities in Canada may ask for:
- A completed undergraduate degree: Most universities in Canada require applicants to have a completed four-year undergraduate degree or its equivalent from a recognised institution.
- Minimum Grade Point Average (GPA): Universities in Canada usually require a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent. However, some universities may require a higher GPA, depending on the program and the level of competition.
- Language proficiency: As English and French are the official languages of Canada, international students whose first language is not English may be required to submit proof of English proficiency. Most universities accept results from language tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE Academic.
- Standardised tests: Depending on the program and the university, some programs may require standardised tests, such as GRE or GMAT.
- Letters of recommendation: Most universities require two to three letters of recommendation from professors, employers, or supervisors who know the applicant's academic or professional work.
- Statement of Purpose: Most universities require applicants to submit a statement outlining their academic and professional background, reasons for pursuing the program, and future career goals.