Bachelor's in Information Technology (IT) is a 3-year degree and one of the best courses in Australia for national and international students. Given the global market of IT, the demand for IT graduates in Australia will increase even more in the coming years, as per experts and facts.
IT is one of the popular courses for international students in Australia. Software and IT engineers are in demand, both in Australia and worldwide.
This student guide will help you with the best IT universities in Australia, the general cost of studying IT in Australia, Australian scholarships for international students studying IT, Jobs in the IT sector in Australia after bachelors and so on.
The Australian economy presents ample opportunities for competent IT professionals. Therefore, IT in Australia has become one of the international students' most demanded fields of study.
If you are passionate about technology and want a lucrative career ahead for yourself, Bachelor in Information Technology (BIT) is the way to go.
Why Study Bachelor of IT in Australia?
Being equipped with a bachelor's degree in IT in Australia means you will be trained to be technically savvy, creative and competent. Additionally, receiving Bachelor's in IT and working in IT is an effective gateway to Permanent Residency in Australia.
- Under these programs, most of the universities will provide you with an internship. These IT internships in Australia, hands-on experience aligned with the latest technologies, and IT job placement in Australia afterwards.
- Moreover, almost all universities and colleges providing Bachelor of information technology in Australia are accredited by the Australian Computer Society (ACS). ACS ensures quality in education and global recognition of the degree acquired.
- With the use and advancements of information technologies in every sector, you can foresee possibilities and growth as an IT graduate. Additionally, through the IT Professional Year Program (PYP), international students with bachelor's degrees in IT can easily fit into the employment market.
- In Australia, IT graduates can earn a 6 figure salary per year.
- There are many IT specializations in Australia, including IT-Information Systems, IT-Big Data, IT-Artificial Intelligence, IT-Cyber Security, etc.
Besides the outstanding course and career scope, studying this course makes you more eligible for PR in Australia.
Best Universities for Bachelors in IT in Australia
Australian institutions offer varied courses on IT aimed at producing skilled manpower in the field. If you are also wondering which university in Australia is best for information technology, you will get a hint hereafter.
International students can choose from numerous places, universities and specializations to study for a bachelor's degree in Information and technology in Australia.
Most students are searching for a bachelor of information and technology in Sydney, a Bachelor of Information Technology in Melbourne and more.
Australia has the top 100 universities and colleges globally, ranked by Times Higher Education (THE) Global Rankings 2020 for Computer Science. They offer quality education and scholarship options for international students.
Similarly, as per the QS World University Rankings of 2023 for Computer Science and Information Systems, the following are the top 10 universities
|QS Ranking 2023||University|
|=41||University of Melbourne|
|=57||University of Sydney|
|56||Australian National University (ANU)|
|=57||University of New South Wales, Sydney|
|=73||University of Technology, Sydney|
|113||University of Adelaide|
|=122||University of Queensland|
|151-200||Queensland University of Technology (QUT)|
|151-200||RMIT University, Melbourne|
These universities and colleges offer bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, diplomas, and graduate programs in IT which can fit into students' interests. Generally, in a bachelor of IT, 24 subjects include 10 core subjects, 8 significant subjects, and 6 elective subjects.
Best IT course in Australia for International Students
The top Bachelor in IT courses in Australia include:
- Web and app development
- Computer network
- ICT business
- System analysis
- Software development
- Database management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Information system
Some universities offer a bachelor in IT as a part-time program in Australia, while mostly it is a three-or-four year full-time course.
IT bachelor programs train students to ensure they have acquired all the essential technical knowledge and skills required in the job market.
Bachelor of information technology fees in Australia
Want to join an undergraduate course in IT and want an answer to the question- "How much does a bachelor's degree in information and technology cost in Australia?"
Whichever degree level you join, the overall cost for an international student includes preparation costs, tuition fees and the living cost in the country.
These are general tuition fees for international students for a Bachelor of IT in Australia.
|University||Annual Fee (AUD)|
|Australian National University (ANU)||40000-48000|
|University of Queensland||40000-45000|
|University of Adelaide||40000-42000|
|University of Wollongong||30000-35000|
|Swinburne University of Technology||30000-32000|
It should not be forgotten that the tuition fee varies with places, universities and the program and type of degree you choose. Thus, once you decide about the university to study Bachelor's of IT, you must check the website for more authentic information on study costs.
General Eligibility for Bachelor of Information Technology in Australia
To get enrolled on the bachelor of IT in Australia, students must have the following:
The academic requirement to study IT in Australia for International students
- Passed 10+2 or equivalent board with a minimum of 60% (Mathematics is compulsory in most universities)
IELTS Requirement to study IT in Australia for International Students
- English language Proficiency test scores acceptable as per the university criteria (TOEFL-80 with a minimum of 20 in Reading and Writing & 18 in Speaking and Listening; IELTS-6.5 with 6 in each component; PTE-64, with at least 55 in each section)
Apply for Bachelor of IT in Australia
Once you have decided which university in Australia you want to join for your Bachelor's of information and technology, you take the next step and apply for the course.
Before submitting an admission application, knowing the program duration, study cost, academic requirements, and syllabus are important. While applying, you will have to present the following documents:
- Copy Citizenship ID card
- 10th Marksheet and character certificate
- 12th Marksheet, transcript, and character certificate.
- LOR(Letter of Recommendation)- not mandatory
- SOP(Statement of Purpose)
- Certificate of award or scholarship (if sponsored from home country)
- Proof of finances to bear the tuition fee
- Copy of Passport.
- IELTS/ TOEFL iBT/PTE score proof
Affordable IT universities/colleges in Australia for international students
These are some universities where students can study for a Bachelor of IT with lower tuition fees. Almost all Australian IT universities and institutions have a 3-year bachelor's degree.
|Cheap IT Universities in Australia||Average fees per year in AUD|
|Southern Cross University||$26,000|
|Charles Sturt University||$29,696|
|Central Queensland University||$32,112|
|King’s own Institute||$14,500|
Scholarships for Bachelor in information technology in Australia
There are numerous scholarships and awards presented by universities and colleges for international students studying for a bachelor's of IT in Australia.
Many of these scholarship programs offer substantial bulk payments, educational subsidies, or living allowances designed to make life easier for those looking to study in Australia.
Some of the general and specific scholarships provided by Australian universities for a bachelor in IT are:
1. Royal Greenhills Institute of Technology International Scholarship
2. Academic Excellence Scholarships at RMIT University
3. ANU Chancellor's International University
4. Undergraduate International College Scholarship at Macquarie University
5. Swinburne University's X LinkendIN International Award
6. Monash International Scholarship
7. Information Technology International Merit Scholarship at Monash University
8. International Merit Scholarship
Job Opportunities after bachelors in Information Technology in Australia
International students can expect various fields and roles as IT graduates.
Some reviews and research have listed some IT skills deficits in the job market in Australia. Below listed are the top IT skills in demand in the country:
- Project managers
- Cloud engineers and cloud architect
- Network engineers
- Software Engineers
- Cyber Security specialists/experts
- IT experts
- Business Analyst
- End-user support professionals
Despite the prevailing demands, employment opportunities depend upon the level of qualification you complete. It also depends upon the place and company you opt for employment.
Melbourne is considered Australia's technology hub. It has more than half of Australia's top 20 technology companies. Victoria has a vast ICT industry with over 8000 companies and some international ones such as Microsoft, Intel, IBM, etcetera.
You can be in any of these or other companies as a software developer, system analyst, database analyst, internet developer, IT manager, etc.
As already mentioned, studying IT gives you flexibility. Graduates are free to work for private companies or the public sector or even choose to work as freelancers.
IT professionals in Australia earn from 50,000 AUD to 130,000 AUD annually. This pay can go even higher with experience, skills and designation.
Additionally, bachelors in Information Technology always leave students with an option for further study. You can always widen and enhance your overall scope with a Professional Year Program in IT, a Master's degree or even doctoral programs in IT and related fields.