The USA is incredibly popular for an engineering degree. Bachelor of Engineering in USA is a dream for countless engineering aspirants who wish to be successful engineers in the future.
This degree is generally 4 years long.
BE in USA is popular for a number of reasons. We have discussed the reasons behind the craze for a bachelor of Engineering in the USA below. In short, the engineering universities, career opportunities, huge companies, a number of specializations and financial aids have a reason to play on this. Engineering at the undergraduate level also comes in different forms in USA like Bachelor of Science in Engineering (BS in Engineering), BA in Engineering and Bachelor of Engineering (BE)
If you are an international student interested in knowing “How to study Engineering in USA” and overall scenarios of BE in the USA like universities, career opportunities, entry requirements and fees, you are in the right place.
- What is the Bachelor in Engineering Salary in USA?
- What is the scope of Engineering in USA?
- Is SAT compulsory for BE in the USA?
- Which is the best university to study for a Bachelor of Engineering in USA?
- Where can I study Engineering in the US?
Why choose USA for a Bachelor of Engineering?
- The top 15 Engineering universities in the top 50 are listed from USA as per the QS World ranking. Other university ranking tools like US News also put the USA into the top Category listing it as a country with the highest number of best engineering institutes.
- USA offers the highest bachelor of engineering specializations covering a wide range of topics from computer science, software engineering to materials, chemical and nuclear engineering.
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Engineering jobs are the jobs with the highest average starting salary. Other than that, the engineers earn a median annual wage of $91,010
Top Universities for Bachelor of Engineering in USA
These are some of the best Engineering Schools in 2022 in the USA according to QS World University Ranking by subjects.
The rankings made by QS World University Ranking are made by taking 6 main factors into accounts such as academic reputation, employer reputation, international student ratio, citations per faculty, faculty/ student ratio, and international faculty ratio.
|Ranking in USA||Top Engineering Universities in USA||Ranking in the world||Location|
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||1||Cambridge, US|
|2||Standford University||2||Stanford, US|
|3||Harvard University||4||Cambridge, US|
|4||The University of California, Berkeley (UCB)||6||Berkeley, US|
|5||University of Michigan- Ann Arbor||10||Ann Arbor, United States|
|6||Georgia Institute of Technology||13||Atlanta, US|
|7||California Institute of Technology (Caltech)||17||Pasadena, United States|
|8||Purdue University||20||West Lafayette, United States|
|9||The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||26||Los Angeles, United States|
|10||Cornell University||36||Ithaca, US|
|11||Northwestern University||38||Evanston, US|
|12||The University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign||38||Champaign, US|
|13||Princeton University||40||Princeton, US|
|14||The University of Texas at Austin||40||Austin, US|
|15||Pennsylvania State University||45||University Park, US|
The universities depicted in the table above are famous for specialty BE programs such as Aerospace/ Aeronautical/ Astronautical Engineering/ Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical/ Electronic/ Communications Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Biomedical Engineering/ Bioengineering/ Industrial/ Manufacturing/ Systems Engineering and Environmental/ Environmental Health Engineering
Bachelor of Engineering Entry Requirements in USA
- In general, international students will need an intermediate level degree/ high school diploma in a relevant field of study (Science), if they wish to study bachelor of engineering in USA. The percentage requirement is generally a minimum of 60% or first division in the high school diploma.
- Other than that, students also need to demonstrate English language proficiency by taking internationally recognized tests like TOEFL/ PTE/ IELTS. The cut-off score IELTS or TOEFL Score needed for Bachelor of Engineering is 6.5 (in IELTS) or 79 (in TOEFL). Generally, a score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is preferred.
- SAT and ACT scores are additional requirements that are not mandatory for securing admission to every university. However, these tests are mandatorily asked by some universities and also help international students in securing financial aids.
Bachelor of Engineering courses in USA
Mention below is just some of the countless engineering degrees available in US.
|Bachelor of Engineering Program||University||Location||English Language Requirement|
|Bachelor of Science in Aerospace Engineering||The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, USA|
|Bachelor of Electrical Engineering||The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, USA|
|Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering||The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, USA|
|Bachelor of Computer Science and Engineering||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, USA||TOEFL: 90|
|Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering||Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Cambridge, USA||TOEFL: 90|
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering||The University of Texas, at Dallas||Richardson, USA|
|Bachelor of Science in Data Science||The University of Texas, at Dallas||Richardson, USA||IELTS: 6.5|
|Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering||The University of Texas, at Dallas||Richardson, USA||IELTS: 6.5|
|BS in Mechanical Engineering||California State University Los Angeles Campus, Los Angeles, USA||Los Angeles, USA|
|BS in Civil Engineering||California State University Los Angeles Campus, Los Angeles, USA||Los Angeles, USA|
|BS in Electrical Engineering||California State University Los Angeles Campus, Los Angeles, USA||Los Angeles, USA|
|BS in Aerospace Engineering||University of Southern California||Los Angeles, USA|
Bachelor of Engineering fees in USA
The cost of a Bachelor of Engineers in the USA is quite high. It ranges from USD 20,000 to USD 60,000 in general for international students.
|Best Engineering University in USA||Average tuition fees in USD|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||53,818|
|University of California- Berkeley||43,980|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||33,794|
|California Institute of Technology||56,862|
|Carnegie Mellon University||58, 924|
|University of Illinois Urbana Champaign||34,312|
|University of Michigan- Ann Arbor||52, 266|
|Purdue University- West Lafayette||28, 794|
|The University of Texas at Austin||39,322|
Scholarships for Bachelor of Engineering in USA
You can also study Bachelor of Engineering in USA for the free USA via the generous scholarships offered by USA universities for outstanding students.
- Princeton University Scholarships
- MIT Scholarships
- Cornell University Scholarships
- Cherokee Scholars Scholarships
- American Honors Scholarship
- University of South Alabama (USA) Global Freshman Scholars Award
- WIA Foundation Scholarship in US 2021/2022
- Gorilla International Scholarship
- EIT International Excellence Scholarship
- Robertson Scholars Leadership Program 2021
Bachelor of Engineering Application Requirement in USA
For those wondering about how to apply for a Bachelor of Engineering in USA, you can try collecting and preparing for the documents listed below and apply for the bachelor of engineering program online yourself or via education consultants.
- Intermediate level official transcript, character and provisional certificate. (Should meet the entry requirement of the university).
- Class 10th documents- mark sheet and character certificate.
- English proficiency test (TOEFL/ IELTS/ PTE)- Should be valid and meet the English language eligibility criteria set by University.
- Application fees (Application fees in Universities for BE generally ranges from USD 70 to 200. )
- Proof of Scholarships if any
- ACT test or SAT exam if asked
Scope of Engineering in USA
After completing the Bachelor of engineering in the USA, the international students can join companies as engineers in entry-level positions. As time prosper, you will be promoted from entry-level jobs the mid-level jobs. After this, you can either hop in for a master of engineering in a relevant field or continue the jobs.
The most attractive employers for engineering students which contributes to the outstanding scope of Engineers in USA are:
- Lockheed Martin
In the table below, the entry-level salary and average salary per year are mentioned. Needless to say, the USA is among the country with the highest paychecks for engineers. As a result, the career opportunities in Engineering in USA is enormous.
|Engineering jobs||Mean Entry-level salary per year(USD)||Mean Annual Salary in Average per year (USD)|
|Construction Management Engineer||58,840||95,440|
|Materials Science Engineer||67,303||100,550|