The Bachelor of Electronics and Communications Engineering in Nepal is a four years eight-semester course curated to produce skilled and qualified engineers in the field of electronics and communication.
Electronics and Communication Engineering is one of the largest and fastest-growing fields of engineering. It covers a wide range of applications such as television, radio, computers, telecommunication, etc. which make our life easier and convenient. They help us see, hear and communicate over broad distances and do things quickly in daily life.
The course provides knowledge and skills to the students in various fields like telecommunication, digital communication, electromagnetic field, digital signal processing, and wireless network communication and applies it to various real-life projects and research works.
Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering in Nepal is offered by Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu University, Pokhara University and Purbanchal University in their affiliated and constituent campuses.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- You must score a minimum of C grade in all subjects in your plus 2 or,
- You must pass +2 or equivalent examinations with a minimum of 50 % in aggregate and 50 % marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM) to be eligible for enrollment.
- You must pass the entrance examination conducted by the respective universities for enrollment in the program.
Generally, the universities in Nepal offering bachelor of electronics and communication engineering announce entrance exam the result of class 12 has been published. Generally for all universities, the entrance time used to be in August-September (Shrawan-Bhadra-Asoj), before COVID-19 punctured the harmony of the education system.
As of now, this stable routine has been punctured. In a nutshell, the universities announce Engineering entrance after class 12 has been published. (Pokhara university has already announced it for 2078, TU entrance exam will be held on Magh, 2078 and so on.)
Colleges offering Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering (BEC)
Affiliated with Pokhara University
- Nepal Engineering College (NEC) - 96 Seats
- Nepal College of Information Technology - 48 Seats
- Cosmos College of Management and Technology - 48 Seats
- Pokhara Engineering College - 48 Seats
- Rapti Engineering College - 48 Seats
- Lumbini Engineering, Management, and Science College - 48 Seats
Affiliated with Purbanchal University
- Khwopa Engineering College - 48 Seats
- Kantipur City College - 40 Seats
- School of Engineering and Technology, Purbanchal University - 60 Seats
- College of Information Technology and Engineering - 40 Seats
- Eastern College of Engineering - 30 Seats
Constituent and Affiliated College of Institute of Engineering, TU
- Pulchowk Campus Institute of Engineering - 48 Seats
- Thapathali Campus, Institute of Engineering - 48 Seats
- Purwanchal Campus, Institute of Engineering - 48 Seats
- Paschimanchal Campus, Institute of Engineering - 48 Seats
Private Colleges offering BE Electronics, Communications and Information Engineering
- Advanced College of Engineering and Management - 96 Seats
- Kathford International College of Engineering and Management - 48 Seats
- Sagarmatha Engineering College - 48 Seats
- National College of Engineering (NCE) - 48 Seats
- Kantipur Engineering College - 96 Seats
- Kathmandu Engineering College - 96 Seats
- Janakpur Engineering College - 48 Seats
- Himalaya College of Engineering - 48 Seats
You can learn more about online applications and entrance examinations at the link here.
Bachelor in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at Kathmandu University
Kathmandu University, School of Engineering, Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering offers a four years eight-semester course with specialization in Power and Control or Communication. The total allocated seats for this program is 60 seats.
The curriculum is regularly updated and the syllabus for different academic sessions changes. You need to pass Kathmandu University Common Admission Test (KUCAT-CBT) for admission in Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
You can find full details here- KUCAT-CBT and Test Syllabus 2021
Fees Studying BE Electronics and Communications Engineering in Nepal
The fees of Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering in Nepal range from 2.5 lakhs to 16 lakhs per year.
The cost of studying this course in constituent/community campuses of TU is NPR 2,80,000 on average whereas, in private colleges affiliated to TU, they charge you around 8 to 13 Lakhs for the entire course duration.
On a similar note, the fee structure in KU for a bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering is NPR 8 Lakhs for 4 years of study.
Fee Structure at Nepal Engineering College (NEC) for studying 4 years Bachelor of Electronics and Communication Engineering course presented in the tabulation below. The fee structure for other colleges affiliated with Pokhara University is also more or less the same.
Tuition Fee (8 semesters @ Rs. 54,000)
Semester Fee (Affiliation, Registration, Examination, Lab, Infrastructure development and other expenses for 8 semesters)
Security Deposit (Refundable)
Scholarship to study at BE Electronics and Communication at Pokhara University
Pokhara University provides Scholarships from eligible candidates in BE courses along with BE Electronics and Communication. You must possess a minimum of C grade in all subjects or the minimum second division (45%) to be eligible for the scholarship.
KU SOE Scholarship:
It is focused on meritorious and needy (economically weak) students successfully admitted to KU UNG programs. For every 30 fee-paying students, ONE student will be admitted on full or partial scholarship(equivalent to the fee of one student).
This scholarship is provided to 1st-year students at the time of admission, first time on a need basis and then based on their academic performance, after reviewing each year.
They need to maintain a minimum total GPA of 3.0 to continue in each academic year. Also, it will not be regular for students who have to appear for compartmental exams and who do not maintain discipline.
TU offers generous scholarships to needy and outstanding students studying Bachelor of Electronics and Communication engineering. Out of 48 students enrolled for this course, 24 students get full scholarships on the Pulchowk campus.
For other constituent campuses, 12 out of 48 students get scholarships. These students are called regular students and the students who have to pay tuition fees are referred to as Full fee-paying students.
The private/ affiliated colleges of TU have different scholarship policies, Generally, the top 5 students (according to the IOE Entrance examination) get a full scholarship for the entire 4 years duration.
Scope and Applications of Electronics and Communication Engineering
Some of the scope and applications of ECE are listed below:
- Wireless Communication
- Satellite Communication
- Internet Telephony
- Embedded System
- Wireless Sensor Networks
- Optical Computing
- Display Technology
- Advanced Optical Networks
- Brain-Computer Interfaces
- Thin-Film Technology
- Electronics Cooling System
- PLC, FPGAs
- Fiber Optics
- Milk Fat Testing
- Speaker Recognition
- Microwave Communication
- Earthquake Monitoring
- Remote Sensing
- Advanced Processors
Electronics and Communication Engineering Job prospects
The demand of Electronics and Communication Engineers are in demand in different companies like Telecommunication, Software Industries, electronics, manufacturing, transportation, communication companies.
Upon completion of the Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) course in Nepal, you can work in various telecom companies like;
- NTC, Ncell, Smart Cell, Worldlink, etc
- CAAN (Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal)
- Nepal Army
- Hardware freelancing companies
- Robotics Association of Nepal
- Dish Home
- CG electronics
- Various TV channels
- Academic Institutions
- Solar setup companies
- Renewable energy companies
- Banks and financial companies
- Various hydropower companies
- Biomedical instrumentation companies
- IT companies