Fulfilling visa and university requirements for those considering studying abroad or looking to settle abroad requires passing qualifying language proficiency exams like IELTS.
Students from countries where English is not the primary language who want to pursue an education abroad must take the renowned International English Language Proficiency Testing System.
IELTS General Training and Academic are two test alternatives that can be chosen depending on the reason for your visit. It assesses candidates' abilities in reading, speaking, listening, and writing; the part involving writing is the most difficult because of the extensive essay questions.
This article will be helpful to you if you're looking for guidance on IELTS essay topics for 2023.
IELTS Essay Topics on Crime and Punishment
- All criminals should have access to education and rehabilitation programs while in prison. To what extent do you agree or disagree on this IELTS topic?
- Many criminals re-offend after they have been punished. Why do some people commit crimes after punishment, and what measures can be taken to tackle this problem?
- In many countries, increased crime has been blamed on violent images on television and in computer and video games. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Some nations need help keeping up with rising crime rates. Many believe the best solution to decrease crime is to have more police officers on the streets. How much do you concur?
- People believe certain criminals should be made to do community service instead of putting them behind bars. Up to what extent do you agree?
- To what extent do you think that technology has played a role in decreasing the crime rate?
- In some societies, the crime rate committed by teenagers is increasing. Thus, the people believe that they should receive punishments like adults. According to you, what are the disadvantages of it?
- Do you agree or disagree that having more police on the streets will decrease the overall crime rate of a country?
- Studies show that most young children who commit crimes have been abused in some way by their parents.
- Many studies show that poor people are more likely to be involved in petty and severe crimes than those from higher-income groups. Do you agree?
- What is the importance of stable family structures in preventing crime in a country? State your opinion.
- Are strict punishments for driving offences the key to reducing traffic accidents, or are other ways necessary? Give your opinion.
IELTS Essay Topics on Communication and Personality
- Some people believe handwriting is no longer helpful in the modern world and should not be taught in schools. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- These days the Internet is easily accessible to children. Is this a positive or negative development?
- Nowadays, people use social media to keep in touch with others and be aware of the news. Do the advantages of this outweigh the disadvantages? Individuals and businesses choose to communicate professionally or socially via technology rather than in person. Talk about the benefits and drawbacks of using technology for communication.
- Some people fail in school but end up being successful in life. What is essential in life- performing well or succeeding after school?
- With the advent of the internet, texting has become the modern way of communicating, due to which face-to-face communication will become a thing of the past. Upto what extent do you agree?
- With the help of the internet, many people have now started to communicate with others online comfortably rather than confronting them face to face. According to you, what are the advantages and disadvantages of communicating online?
- Due to frequent slang or short forms used in modern texting, people have started believing this is the death of grammar and spelling. Discuss both sides of the argument.
- New-age Celebrities from Instagram and TikTok are more famous for their glamorous lifestyle than their achievements. Does this affect the children who follow them? State your opinion.
- Some people prefer to keep their private life separate from their work while others spend their leisure time with their colleagues. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Has modern technology made it easier to download copyrighted music and books? Best IELTS Preparation Classes in Nepal !!
IELTS Essay Topics on Food and Eating Habits
- Some people claim that genetically modified (GM) food can be dangerous, while others feel that it may bring enormous benefits to the world. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Junk food advertising hurts society and should be banned. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Preservatives and chemicals are present in many prepared meals and processed foods. What benefits can this have? Do you believe the benefits outweigh the drawbacks?
- Many children around us are obese and overweight. What, according to you, has led to this common problem amongst children? What measures can be taken to resolve this?
- To cope with the pace of the fast-moving world, many of us have now started to replace main meals with fast food. What are the advantages of this step that have to outweigh the disadvantages?
- Over the past few years, the media has portrayed the image of a young woman as a thin lady. What, according to you, are the problems caused by this conception?
- Due to the severe repercussions of eating fast food daily, some people think that the only way to prevent this is to ban fast food. Do you agree or disagree with the statement?
- In many countries, fast food is becoming cheaper and more widely available. Do the disadvantages of this outweigh the advantages?
- People often argue that eating junk food has led to an unhealthy lifestyle. This problem has become more common among young people these days. Do you agree or disagree that junk food is the cause of the issue?
- Governments in many countries have recently introduced special taxes on foods and beverages with high sugar levels. Some think these taxes are a good idea, while others disagree. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
- Today’s society provides people with various ways to lose weight, such as special diets or exercise. Many believe that poor food and today’s lifestyle should be addressed first. What is your opinion?
- In many countries today, children's eating habits and lifestyles differ from those of previous generations. Some people say this has hurt their health in many countries today, the eating habits and lifestyles of children are different from those of previous generations. Some people say this has hurt their health. What is your opinion?
IELTS Essay Topics on Society
- In the developed world, average life expectancy is increasing. What problems will this cause for individuals and society? Suggest some measures that could be taken to reduce the impact of ageing populations.
- Homeless individuals are a part of most societies. Some believe giving them money is the most excellent way to assist them. What per cent would you agree with?
- It is observed in many countries that women do not feel the need to get married. Locals believe that women have started earning and have become independent as they have their source of income. Thus, they do not require the financial security that marriage brings. Up to what extent do you agree or disagree with this statement?
- It is always believed that globalisation has both advantages as well as disadvantages. State prominent advantages as well as disadvantages in your opinion.
- Traditional ways of living are being lost as modern civilisation develops. Is it crucial to maintain our old ways of living?
- Over the last decade, it was majorly seen that people were eager to move from rural areas toward urban areas. What do you think has caused this? What problems can this bring up?
- Every culture around us has made its mark in history in one or the other way. Why do you think familiarising the next generation with history is essential?
- Some people spend more, and some spend less for wedding parties, birthday parties, and other celebrations. Is it a waste of money or a social requirement? Include specific details and examples to support your choice.
- Some people believe that shortly, there will be no borders between countries, while others feel that national borders will always remain. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- The teenage years are the happiest times of most people’s lives. Others think that adult life brings more happiness despite greater responsibilities. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- People with original ideas provide much greater value to society than the ones who copy others. Do you agree or disagree?
- Is it suitable for children that parents provide them with everything they ask for?
- Advancements in technology have made it possible for many people to work from home. What do you think are the effects on employees working from home?
- Some people think that social networking sites negatively impact individuals and society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- The best way to reduce poverty in developing countries is by giving up to six years of free education so they can at least read, write and use numbers. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
IELTS Essay Topics on Culture and Tradition
- Differences between countries become less evident each year. Nowadays, all over the world, people share the same fashions, advertising, brands, eating habits and TV channels. Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
- Some people believe that governments should ban dangerous sports. Others claim that they should have the freedom to choose their favourite activities. Discuss both views and present your opinion.
- Some claim that they are destroyed when cultural practices are utilised as tourist attractions intended to generate revenue. Some claim that this is the only way to keep certain customs alive.
- Just like the government spends funds on music and theatre, it does the same on arts, which is considered a waste of money. Don’t you think that the government should spend more on revamping public services? Do you agree? If not, then why?
- Many monuments, part of our cultural diversity, are protected and reconstructed by law. A few people think these structures should be destroyed and something new should be constructed. How important is it to put more effort into monument maintenance? Do you think that through their maintenance, history is coming in the way of progress?
- A single-world culture is being created due to modern technology. Do you agree or disagree?
IELTS Essay Topics on Environment
- With deforestation, urban development and illegal hunting, many animal species are becoming endangered, and some are even facing extinction.
- Do you think it is essential to protect animals? What can be done to deal with this problem?
- Many people think it is essential to protect the environment, but they do not try to do it themselves. Why do you think this is the case? What actions should individuals take to protect the environment?
- Explain some of how humans are damaging the environment. What can governments do to address these problems? What can individual people do?
- Some people believe raising the price of fuel is the most excellent way to address global environmental issues. Do you agree or disagree?
- Many animal species are becoming endangered due to habitat loss brought on by urbanisation, illicit hunting, and deforestation; some are even at risk of going extinct. Do you think it is necessary to protect animals?
- According to you, what are the major problems due to which developed countries have become significant contributors to global warming? What are the main problems leading to global warming?
- One of the most critical issues that the environment is facing is global warming. What are the measures the government can take to reduce such issues?
- Overpopulation in the country is a serious issue that has given rise to numerous problems. Elaborate on one or two severe issues and give a plausible solution for them that governments can implement.
IELTS Essay Topics on Media
- The tendency of news media to focus on problems and emergencies rather than good news hurts individuals and society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- “Newspapers and books are outdated.” Why do some people believe this? What is your opinion?
- Many people believe that media coverage of celebrities is hurting children. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?
- Media violence encourages violence in society. To what extent do you agree?
- Most of the reported news is terrible, such as stories about wars, famines, accidents, and crime. How come, in your opinion? Do you believe there should be both good and negative news?
- Do you believe the media ill-treat celebrities, or is it the price they must pay for their stardom? Regardless of fame, should their privacy be respected or not?
- Media has unintentionally left a negative impact on children. Often, they end up watching violence which is not advised at such a tender age. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- What are your views on the false means of advertising media agencies use?
- What is the impact of computer games on the children of today? Is it helping their development or making them worse? Why and why not? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.
- Successful sportsmen can earn much more than people in other important professions. Some think this is fully justified, while others think it is unfair. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe that advertising strongly affects a person’s decision-making process. Others feel that it has little or no real impact. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
- Does advertising encourage us to buy things we don’t need, or does it tell us about new products that may improve our lives? Which view do you agree with?
IELTS Essay Topics on Education
- Only formal examinations, written or practical, can give a clear picture of a student’s knowledge and ability at the university level. Continuous assessments like coursework and projects are poor measures of student ability. To what extent do you agree or disagree on this IELTS topic?
- In many countries, schools have severe problems with student behaviour. What do you think are the causes of this? What solutions can you suggest?
- Many people say that the only way to guarantee a good job is to complete a course of university education. Others claim that it is better to start work after school and gain experience in the world of work. Discuss both views and give your opinion. Much worry about the educational divide between affluent and poorer nations is expressed. What options do you have for handling this situation?
- The role of education is to educate children about the modern world. Schools should remove music and the arts from the curriculum so that students can concentrate on practical courses like computer technology. How much do you agree?
- Education is a fundamental right. Thus, it should be free of cost for everyone, regardless of personal wealth. Do you agree or disagree with it?
- While few people believe that the education provided by universities helps graduates get better jobs, others think there are many broader advantages of education through universities. Elucidate upon these views and give your opinion.
- Do you agree that educational activities must be incorporated into children’s free time? What do you think about this argument?
- Co-ed schools are considered better than boys and girls being educated separately. Discuss both sides and give your own opinion.
- Some people believe the traditional approach in the modern classroom is better than a teaching methodology based on experiential learning. Do you agree or disagree?
- University students should pay the total cost for their studies because university education benefits individuals rather than society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
- Is teaching people over 65 to use computers the best way to spend government money? To what extent do you agree?
IELTS Essay Topics on Entertainment
- Many people prefer to watch foreign films rather than locally produced films. Why could this be? Should governments give more financial support to local film industries?
- In most developed countries, shopping is not only about buying the goods you need; it is also perceived as entertainment. Is it a positive or negative development?
- Some people think that it is important to use leisure time for activities that improve the mind, such as reading and doing word puzzles. Other people feel it is essential to rest the mind during leisure time. Discuss both views and give your opinion.