How to get a Work Permit after studying in Australia

How to get a Work Permit after studying in Australia

How to get a Work Permit after studying in Australia
Sahil Dahal

The Australian government grants overseas students who have finished their education there a work permit visa. After graduating, students are permitted to remain and work in Australia for up to two years on this visa. The visa is intended to facilitate students' transfer into the Australian workforce and enable them get useful work experience relevant to their studies.

What is a Work Permit?

A work permit, a work visa, is an official document that authorizes you to work in a foreign country. In the case of Australia, a work permit is a document issued by the Department of Home Affairs that allows you to work in Australia for a specified period.

Obtaining a work permit in Australia is essential for international students who wish to work in the country after completing their studies. The post-study work visa is the most common work permit for international students in Australia. This visa allows international graduates to remain in Australia for a specified period, typically up to four years, and gain valuable work experience in their field of study.

What is a Work Permit?

In addition to post-study work visas, other types of work permits are available in Australia, including skilled worker visas, temporary work visas, and working holiday visas. These visas have different eligibility criteria, requirements, and application processes, depending on your visit's purpose and circumstances.

To be eligible for the work permit visa, students must meet the following requirements:

  • They must have completed a full-time course of study at an Australian university or college.
  • They must have a valid student visa.
  • They must have a clean criminal record.
  • They must be proficient in English.

International students who wish to stay in Australia and work after graduation should take advantage of the work permit visa. It is a beneficial approach to develop professional contacts, obtain job experience, and launch a career in Australia.

How to Get a Work Permit after Studying in Australia?

The procedure of switching from a student visa to a work permit is one of the main worries for foreign students who finish their studies in Australia. The Australian government recognizes the value that international students bring to the country's workforce and offers several options for obtaining work permits. Here, we outline the steps you need to follow to secure a work permit after studying in Australia:

Understand the Visa Options

To obtain a work permit in Australia, you must understand the visa options available. The two most common visas for international students are the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) and the Employer-Sponsored visa (subclass 482). Each visa has its requirements, validity periods, and conditions. Research these options thoroughly to determine which aligns with your career goals and circumstances.

How to choose the right visa

The best way to choose the right visa is to consider your career goals and circumstances. If you are thinking to stay in Australia for a short period and are unsure of your career goals, then the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) may be a good option for you. The Employer-Sponsored visa (subclass 482) can be a preferable choice if you have a defined professional aim and have obtained a work offer in Australia.

Research the visa options

It is important to thoroughly research the visa options before applying for a visa. You can know more about the visa options on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

The Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is designed for international students who have finished at least two years of study in Australia. This visa temporarily allows you to live, study, and work in Australia. There are two streams under this visa:

Graduate Work Stream

Students who completed their coursework in a profession that is on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) are eligible for the Graduate Work Stream. You must choose an occupation from the MLTSSL and have the required skills evaluation from the appropriate assessing authority in order to be qualified for this stream.

Post-Study Work Stream

The Post-Study Work Stream is available for students who have completed a bachelor's degree, master's degree, or doctoral degree from an Australian educational institution. The duration of the work permit granted under this stream depends on the highest qualification you have obtained. For instance, if you have completed a bachelor's degree, you may be eligible for a two-year work permit.

Employer-Sponsored Visa (subclass 482)

The firm-Sponsored visa (subclass 482) may be available to you if you have obtained a work offer from an Australian firm. With this visa, qualified employees can go to Australia and work for a designated company for a maximum of four years. You must have a sponsoring employer who chooses your job from the list of skilled occupations in order to be eligible for this visa. Below is a list of the requirements for qualifying, the procedure, the advantages and costs of an Employer-Sponsored Visa (subclass 482).


  • You should have a job offer from an Australian employer.
  • Your job must be on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
  • You must meet the English language requirements.
  • You must have a health insurance policy.
  • You need to have enough money to support yourself financially in Australia.


  • Your employer must lodge a nomination with the Department of Home Affairs.
  • You need to apply for a visa with the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Your application will be evaluated, and a determination will be made, by the Department of Home Affairs.


  • The visa allows you to live and work in Australia for up to four years.
  • You can bring your family members with you on the visa.
  • You may be eligible to apply for permanent residency after three years on the visa.


  • The cost of the visa application varies depending on your nationality.
  • Your employer are also required to pay a nomination fee.

100,000+ students achieved their study abroad dreams with us.  Start your journey today.


Can I work while studying in Australia?

It is legal for overseas students to work up to 40 hours per week in Australia during the academic year and full-time during holidays.

Can I apply for a work permit before completing my studies?

No, you can't submit an application for a work visa until you've finished your studies and have your academic transcript or letter of completion.

What documents do I need to apply for a work permit?

The documents needed for a work permit application include a valid passport, proof of completion of studies, health insurance, English language proficiency test results, and any other specific documents related to the visa category you are applying for.

Is there a limit on the number of hours I can work with a work permit?

No, there is no any limitations on the number of hours you can work with a work permit in Australia. You have the flexibility to work full-time, part-time, or casual hours based on your preferences and the conditions of your visa.

Can I include unpaid internships or volunteer work in my work experience?

Yes, unpaid internships and volunteer work can be included in your work experience. They can provide valuable skills and enhance your employability in the Australian job market.

What are the post-work permit options in Australia?

After obtaining a work permit, you have various options to explore in Australia. Through employer sponsorship or other immigration channels, you can find employment in your field of study, acquire real-world experience, and even become eligible for permanent residence.

Related Posts :


Study in Adelaide

Education forms an increasingly important part of the city's economy. Adelaide is the ideal place to live and study. It's affordable, friendly, accessible, and is rated as one of the world's most live
Sabnam ManandharThu Apr 13 2023

Study in Perth

Study in Perth is home to four public universities: the University of Western Australia, Curtin University, Murdoch University, and Edith Cowan University and one private university, the University o
Sandeep NepalThu Apr 13 2023