The Bachelor of Design (BDes) in Product Design is a specialised undergraduate program that trains students in product design and development principles. This program is focused on the process of creating innovative products that are user-friendly, functional, aesthetically pleasing, and commercially viable. BDes Product Design programs are offered at many design schools and universities worldwide.
The BDes Product Design program typically takes four years to complete. It covers various subjects such as design theory, materials science, user-centred design, research methods, CAD software, prototyping, manufacturing processes, and business management. Students in the program are also encouraged to explore emerging technologies, sustainability, and social responsibility.
The typical cost of this course in India ranges from INR 2 to 4 lacs.
Students participate in various design projects throughout the program and are encouraged to develop their unique design styles. The program is structured to foster collaboration and teamwork, with students working in groups on design projects and assignments. This approach helps students develop communication and interpersonal skills essential to the product design industry.
In addition to academic coursework, BDes Product Design programs often offer opportunities for internships and study abroad programs, which provide students with practical experience and exposure to different cultures and design practices. These experiences can be valuable assets when seeking employment after graduation.
Graduates of BDes Product Design programs are well-prepared for careers in product design and development. They may work in the consumer goods, transportation, healthcare, furniture, and electronics industries. They may also function as freelance designers or start their design firms. With the increasing importance of design in business, BDes Product Design graduates are in high demand in today's job market.
Why study B.Des in Product Design?
- Studying BDes in Product Design allows students to develop and hone their creative skills, which can be applied to various design projects.
- The course emphasises the importance of designing products that meet the needs and preferences of the end users. Students learn how to conduct user research and apply the findings to create functional, user-friendly, and aesthetically pleasing products.
- Graduates of BDes in Product Design programs can work in various industries, such as consumer goods, transportation, healthcare, furniture, and electronics. The skills acquired in the program can also be applied to entrepreneurial ventures, freelance work, and consultancy.
- BDes in Product Design programs often provides students practical opportunities to work on design projects, research, and develop prototypes. This hands-on learning approach prepares students for real-world design challenges.
- The product design industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies emerging regularly. BDes in Product Design programs often exposes students to these technologies, preparing them for the demands of the industry.
- Product design is about more than just creating visually appealing products. It also involves understanding business management principles like market research, supply chain management, and branding. BDes in Product Design programs gives students the business acumen to succeed in the industry.
- Product designers have the potential to make a significant impact on people's lives. BDes in Product Design programs equip students with the skills and knowledge to create meaningful impact through their designs.
BDes Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have completed class 12 in any discipline at the 10+2 level or from a recognised educational board.
- Around 50% of the total points must be obtained. Every college or school has its own unique culture.
- After passing the B.Des entrance test, one may apply for admission to this program.
BDes Entrance Exam
Many entrance exams are available for prospective students seeking admission to the Bachelor of Design (BDes) program. These exams are a gateway for students to access this highly sought-after course. Among the most renowned and favoured entrance exams for BDes include:
- NID DAT
- UID DAT
BDes Documents Required
- Mark sheet and pass certificate of your Higher Secondary
- Proof of date of birth
- School leaving certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate
- Provisional certificate
- Character certificate
- Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Caste certificates
- Proof of disability (if any)
- Migration Certificate
BDes Admission Process
- The applicants must first register on the college's official website to enrol in the BDes program there.
- After establishing an application ID, they must enter the application form, fill out the required information, and submit it.
- Candidates must appear for the entrance exam, typically consisting of a written test, a creative aptitude test, and an interview.
- After completing the entrance exam, universities or colleges will release the results online. Candidates can check their scores and ranks on the official website of the respective institutions.
- Depending on the school, applicants may go through the WAT or GD round in addition to the interview stage, determining their final selection.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for counselling sessions, where they will be offered seats based on their performance in the entrance exam and their college preferences.
- Once the counselling process is complete, candidates can confirm their admission by paying the fees and submitting the necessary documents to the respective colleges or universities.
BDes Admisssion Tips for Students
Some tips for applicants committed to being accepted into a reputable university. Deserving applicants occasionally need help to gain admission to a prestigious university for a variety of causes. If the following advice is adhered to, it will guarantee their acceptance for the BDes course at a reputable institution in India’s top Universities.
- Research: Start researching the colleges that offer the BDes course, their admission criteria, entrance exam pattern, and cut-off scores. This will help you to identify the best colleges and prepare accordingly.
- Preparation: Develop a study plan and practice regularly for the entrance exam. Make sure to cover all the topics and sections included in the exam.
- Time management: Effective time management is crucial to crack the entrance exam. Practice time management techniques and solve sample papers to improve speed and accuracy.
- Creativity: BDes courses require ingenuity and innovation. Develop a creative mindset and regularly practice sketching, drawing, and other creative activities.
- Portfolio: Prepare a strong portfolio that showcases your creativity, skills, and previous works. A well-designed portfolio can increase your chances of admission to a good college.
- Networking: To expand your network, attend workshops, seminars, and other design-related events. This will help you to learn new things, connect with industry experts, and gain exposure.
- Communication skills: Develop good communication skills as it plays a significant role in the selection process. Be confident, articulate, and concise while presenting your ideas.
- Focus on strengths: Identify and emphasise your strong points during selection. Highlight your unique skills and strengths that set you apart from others.
- Stay updated: Stay updated with the latest trends and advancements in the design industry. Follow design blogs, websites, and social media to keep yourself informed.