BSc is one of the most sought-after academic programs at the undergraduate level in India. To encourage students to pursue science as a field of study and research, the Government of India, along with various organizations, universities, and colleges, offers a wide range of scholarships. These scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need. In this article, we will provide complete information about the top 12 BSc/MSc scholarships in India.
The INSPIRE Programme is offered by the Ministry of Science & Technology to candidates interested in pursuing bachelor's and master's degrees in natural or basic sciences. It consists of three components:
SEATS: Attracts talented students aged 10-15 (Class 6 to Class 10) by providing a 5000 INR INSPIRE Award and organizing summer camps for 50,000 science students of Class 11.
SHE Scholarship: Enhances the attachment of talented youth aged 17-22 to higher education in natural sciences by providing 10,000 scholarships of 80,000 INR per year, along with mentorship support.
AORC: Offers 1,000 fellowships annually for students pursuing doctoral degrees in basic and applied sciences, including engineering and medicine.
INSPIRE Faculty Scheme: Provides assured opportunities every year for 1,000 post-doctoral researchers aged 27-32 through contractual and tenure track positions for five years in basic and applied sciences.
Scholarship Amount: 80,000 INR per year (for higher studies)
- Top 1% of students in Class 12 studying natural and basic sciences at BSc or Integrated MSc level.
- Top 10,000 rank holders in JEE or NEET, opting to study natural and basic sciences leading to BSc and MSc degrees.
- Students are studying natural and basic sciences at BSc or MSc level in specified colleges/institutes.
- Department of Atomic Energy Centre for Basic Sciences
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY)
- National Talent Search Examination (NTSE)
- Jagadish Bose National Science Talent Search (JBNSTS) scholars
- International Olympiad medalists
Application Period: September/October
Application Mode: Online on the official INSPIRE Programme website.
Note: Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) scholarship has merged with the INSPIRE Programme starting in 2022.
Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme
Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme provides interest-free loan scholarships to students pursuing postgraduate courses in fields such as Applied Sciences, Pure Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Architecture Law, and Management at reputable Indian and international universities.
Scholarship Amount: Up to 20 lakhs INR
- Indian nationals residing in India
- Below 30 years of age
- Final year graduation students or graduates from a recognized university
Application Period: January to March
Application Mode: Online on the official Narotam Sekhsaria Scholarship Programme website.
- Check eligibility criteria and confirm eligibility.
- Register by paying a fee of 500 INR.
- Login using the provided ID and password.
- Shortlisted applicants will be required to upload their documents.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in May/June 2020.
- Successful candidates will be notified of the scholarship by the end of June 2020.
HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Support (ECSS)
HDFC Educational Crisis Scholarship Support (ECSS) aims to assist students whose families are experiencing personal or economic crises, ensuring they can continue their education smoothly.
Scholarship Amount: 10,000 to 25,000 INR per year
Eligibility: Students pursuing a Diploma, Bachelor's, or Master's degree with a family income equal to or less than 300,000 INR per year are eligible to apply.
Application Mode: Apply online via the official HDFC ECSS website or by post.
Aim: The ECSS covers students studying in recognized private or government-aided schools from grades 6 to 12, as well as undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma courses (full-time, part-time). The scholarship covers school fees up to a maximum of 10,000 INR and college/university fees up to a maximum of 25,000 INR annually.
How to Apply:
- Visit the official ECSS website.
- Click on the "Apply Now" button.
- Fill in the required details.
- Upload the necessary supporting documents.
- Submit the application form.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Application Period: April to July
Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child
Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child, offered by the UGC, aims to assist families in financing the postgraduate education of a single girl child.
Scholarship Amount: 36,200 INR per month for a maximum of two years
Eligibility: Girls who are the only child, twin daughters, or fraternal daughters in their families, and have secured admission in a full-time regular master's degree program at a recognized university/college, are eligible to apply. The age limit for this scholarship is 30 years.
Application Mode: Apply online through the official UGC's Postgraduate Indira Gandhi Scholarship for Single Girl Child for PG Programmes website.
How to Apply:
- Visit the National Scholarship Portal's homepage and click on "New Registration".
- Read the guidelines carefully, select the undertaking, and click on "Continue".
- Provide necessary details like state of domicile, scholarship category, scheme type, gender, name, date of birth, mobile number, and email ID.
- Enter bank details (bank name, IFSC code, account number).
- Choose Aadhaar or bank account number as identification and click on "Register".
- Verify the mobile number with the OTP generated.
- Log in using the OTP and fill out the application form.
- An application ID and password will be generated for future reference.
Application Period: Around August
Postgraduate Merit Scholarship
Postgraduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders is provided to promote higher education in India. This scholarship allows eligible candidates who have achieved a top rank in their university at the undergraduate level to pursue post-graduation in any specialization at a recognized higher education institute in India.
Scholarship Amount: 3,100 INR per month for a duration of two years.
Eligibility: Students who have secured a university rank at the undergraduate level are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
Application Mode: Apply online through the official UGC's Postgraduate Merit Scholarship for University Rank Holders for PG Programmes website.
How to Apply:
- Register and create a new login ID and password.
- Select the undertaking.
- Fill in the required personal and academic details in the form.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Applicants will be notified of the outcome.
Application Period: May to August.
Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-A)
Women Scientist Scheme (WOS-A) is offered by the Department of Science and Technology to encourage women scientists and technologists to pursue research in basic and applied sciences.
Scholarship Amount: Under this scheme, research grants are provided to candidates. For PhD holders or equivalent, the maximum grant amount is 30 lakh INR, and for MSc or equivalent, the maximum grant amount is 20 lakh INR. The grant is awarded for a maximum duration of three years.
Category Fellowship (INR) Total Project Cost (INR, Excluding HRA & Overhead)
- PhD or equivalent 55,000 + HRA as per norms 30 lakh
- PG in Professional Course (M.Phil./M.Tech/M.Pham, etc.) 40,000 + HRA as per norms 25 lakh
- PG in Basic Science (M.Sc) or equivalent (e.g., B.Tech/MBBS, etc.) 31,000 + HRA as per norms 20 lakh
Eligibility: Women candidates pursuing MSc or PhD are eligible to apply for this scheme. The minimum age limit for WOS-A is 27 years, and the maximum age limit is 35 years for the MSc or equivalent category and 57 years for the PhD or equivalent category.
Application Period: Applications can be submitted throughout the year.
Application Mode: Applications can be submitted by post or online through the official Women Scientists Scheme website.
Mathematics Training and Talent Search Programme (MTTS)
The Mathematics Training and Talent Search Programme (MTTS) aims to provide support and encourage the study and development of independent mathematical thinking.
Scholarship Benefits: The programme is free of cost and offers various benefits such as travel allowance, certificates, and cash prizes.
Eligibility: Candidates who have studied Mathematics at the undergraduate or postgraduate level are eligible to apply for the MTTS programme.
Application Period: Applications are accepted from October to December.
Application Mode: Applicants can apply by post or online through the official website of the Mathematics Training and Talent Search Programme (MTTS).
Selection Process: The selection for MTTS programmes is based on merit, considering the candidate's consistently good academic record and a recommendation letter from a mathematics professor who knows the candidate well. The final list of selected candidates will be posted in March.
Dr K S Krishnan Research Associateship (KSKRA)
The Dr K S Krishnan Research Associateship (KSKRA) offers selected candidates the opportunity to work on R&D programs at prestigious institutes such as Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), and Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB).
Scholarship Benefits: The selected candidates receive a stipend of INR 26,000 per month for a duration of two years.
Eligibility: Candidates with a Master's or PhD degree in Science or Engineering are eligible to apply. The maximum age limit to apply for this scholarship is 32 years.
Application Period: Applications are accepted from November to February.
How to Apply: Candidates can apply for the KSKRA program by following these steps:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of DAE BRNS.
- Step 2: Download the application form, print it, and fill in the required details.
- Step 3: Upload the necessary documents on the website, including educational certificates, GATE/NET scores (optional), proof of date of birth, SC/ST/PwD certificate (optional), passport-size photograph, and a scanned copy of the challan.
- Step 4: Send the filled application form along with the demand draft by SPEED POST to the address mentioned on the website.
Application Mode: Applications can be submitted by email or post.
Selection Process: Suitable candidates will be called for an interview in Mumbai. Preference will be given to candidates whose research interests and work experience align with the objectives of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE). Successful candidates will be appointed as KSK Research Associates after passing the medical examination.
AcSIR Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Summer Training Programme
The AcSIR Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Summer Training Programme offers students the opportunity to work at premier research laboratories of CSIR (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research) during the summer months (May to August).
Scholarship Benefits: Selected candidates receive a stipend of INR 25,000 for the duration of the training programme. Additionally, a travel allowance of up to INR 5,000 is provided. The stipend amount is disbursed to the students upon completion of the training programme and submission of their project report to the Lab Coordinator.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the summer training programme, candidates must meet the following criteria based on their academic level:
- First-year MSc students or equivalent with a minimum first-class at the pre-MSc degree level.
- Third to pre-final year Integrated MSc students or equivalent with a GPA score of 6.0 on a scale of 10 up to the fourth semester.
- First-year ME/MTech students or equivalent with a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10, or a GPA score of 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs (Centrally Funded Technical Institutions) at the BE/BTech level, or a GATE Score of 600, or a NET (Engineering) Rank from 1 to 100.
- Third-year BE/BTech students or equivalent with a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10 or a GPA score of 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs up to the fourth semester.
- Third to pre-final year Integrated ME/MTech students or equivalent with a GPA score of 8.0 on a scale of 10, or a GPA score of 7.0 on a scale of 10 for CFTIs up to the fourth semester, or a GATE Score of 600, or a NET (Engineering) Rank from 1 to 100.
Application Period: Applications are accepted from December to January.
Application Mode: Candidates need to apply online through the official website of AcSIR.
Selection Process: The selection process for the summer training programme involves the following steps:
- Screening based on research proposals and other screening criteria.
- Applicants can indicate their preferences for up to five CSIR Labs/Institutes.
- Shortlisted applicants will be notified electronically.
- Selection interviews will be conducted at a central location.
- Selection is based purely on merit/performance at the selection interview.
IAS Bangalore Summer Research Fellowship
The Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS) Bangalore offers the Summer Research Fellowship to provide an opportunity for aspirants to work with scientists associated with prestigious institutions such as the Indian National Science Academy (INSA), New Delhi; Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru; and The National Academy of Sciences, Allahabad.
Eligibility: Candidates with a science degree at the undergraduate (UG) or postgraduate (PG) level are eligible to apply for this fellowship.
Application Period: The application period for the IAS Bangalore Summer Research Fellowship is typically open from October to November.
Application Mode: Interested candidates can apply online through the official website of IAS Bangalore.
IGCAR JRF (Junior Research Fellowship)
The Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR) in Kalpakkam offers the Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) for candidates interested in pursuing research in the fields of physical, chemical, and engineering sciences.
Scholarship Amount: Selected candidates for the IGCAR JRF receive a monthly stipend of INR 16,000.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the IGCAR JRF, candidates must be Indian nationals and should be below 28 years of age. Additionally, candidates should have obtained a minimum aggregate of 60% marks at the UG/PG level.
Application Period: The application period for the IGCAR JRF is usually open from May to June.
Application Mode: Interested candidates can apply both offline and online through the official website of IGCAR.
Promotion of Science Education (POSE) Scholarship Scheme
The Promotion of Science Education (POSE) Scholarship Scheme, offered by the Haryana State Council for Science, Innovation & Technology, aims to encourage meritorious students to pursue science education and provide support for their higher-level studies. The scholarship is awarded to students pursuing a 3-year BSc, 4-year BS, 5-year integrated MSc/MS, or 2-year MSc courses in various basic and natural science subjects.
- Rs. 4,000/- per month for 3-year BSc courses.
- Rs. 6,000/- per month for 2-year MSc courses.
- For students enrolled in 4-year BS or 5-year integrated MSc/MS courses:
- Rs. 4,000/- per month for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year.
- Rs. 6,000/- per month for the 4th and 5th year.
- For 3-year BSc/4-year BS/5-year integrated MSc/MS courses:
Must have passed Class X and XII board examinations from a school in Haryana with a minimum of 85% marks (for Haryana Board School) or 90% marks (for other boards like CBSE/ICSE) in the 12th class.
- For 2-year MSc courses:
Must have passed Class X, XII, and BSc/BA (BA for MSc Mathematics) from a school/college/university in Haryana with a minimum of 75% marks in the BSc/BA class.