The AILET (All India Law Entrance Test) is an entrance examination conducted by National Law University (NLU), Delhi, for admission to undergraduate (BA LLB) and postgraduate (LLM) law courses offered by the university. The AILET is considered one of the most prestigious law entrance exams in India and is widely recognized as one of the toughest law entrance exams in the country.
The AILET is typically held once a year, usually in the month of May, and is open to candidates who have completed (or are in the final year of) their 10+2 or equivalent examination. For postgraduate courses, candidates with a law degree (LLB) or equivalent are eligible to apply. The examination is conducted in a paper-based format and consists of multiple choice questions (MCQs) as well as descriptive questions.
The AILET tests the candidate's knowledge and aptitude in a variety of subjects, including English language and comprehension, general knowledge and current affairs, logical reasoning and analytical abilities, legal aptitude and reasoning, and elementary mathematics (for undergraduate courses only). The duration of the examination is two hours and thirty minutes, and the maximum marks are 150 for undergraduate courses and 100 for postgraduate courses.
The AILET is a highly competitive examination, and only a small percentage of candidates who apply are able to secure a seat at the National Law University. Successful candidates are selected on the basis of their performance in the AILET and their overall academic record. The merit list is prepared based on the marks obtained by the candidates in the AILET, and those who score within the cut-off marks are eligible for admission to the university.
AILET Exam Day: Do’s
Reach the exam center well in advance
Reaching the exam center well before the reporting time is important to avoid last-minute stress and panic. Reaching the exam center early allows you to familiarize yourself with the location and surroundings, giving you a sense of comfort and ease. This can help you to relax and focus on your preparation, reducing stress and anxiety.
Additionally, arriving early at the exam center also gives you enough time to complete the necessary formalities, such as registering yourself and going through security checks.
Check the AILET 2023 Admit Card
Your AILET 2023 Admit Card is a crucial document that you need to carry to the exam center. It acts as your entry passes to the examination hall, and without it, you will not be allowed to appear for the exam.
Therefore, before leaving for the exam center, make sure that you have your AILET 2023 Admit Card with you. You should also ensure that all the details mentioned on the admit card are correct, such as your name, photograph, signature, and exam center details. If you find any discrepancy in the details mentioned on the admit card, inform the concerned authorities immediately.
Carry necessary stationery
Make sure to carry a black/blue pen, pencil, eraser, and sharpener to the exam center. These items are necessary to complete the OMR sheet. The OMR sheet requires you to fill in the answers using a black/blue pen or pencil, and an eraser and sharpener may be needed in case of any mistakes.
It is advisable to carry a good quality pen or pencil, as well as a sharpener, to avoid any smudging or breakage during the exam. You should also bring a clean and well-functioning eraser to make any corrections without damaging the OMR sheet.
Follow the dress code
National Law University, Delhi has set a dress code for the AILET 2023 exam. Make sure that you are dressed appropriately and follow the dress code to avoid any inconvenience.
The dress code usually includes modest and conservative attire that covers your body appropriately. Avoid wearing anything that is revealing or distracting, such as low-cut tops, short skirts, or revealing dresses. Also, make sure that your clothing does not have any logos, slogans, or pictures that can be deemed inappropriate or offensive.
Make sure to keep yourself relaxed and calm on the day of the exam. This will help you in performing better during the exam. A good night's sleep is essential to keep your mind and body fresh and alert. Avoid staying up late or studying the night before the exam. Trying to cram in last-minute studying can increase your stress and lead to confusion. Instead, review your notes and revise the key concepts in a relaxed and organized manner.
AILET Exam Day: Don'ts
Don't carry prohibited items
Make sure that you do not carry any prohibited items such as mobile phones, calculators, electronic devices, etc. to the exam center. Here are some common items that are generally prohibited:
- Mobile phones: Mobile phones and any other electronic communication devices are strictly prohibited inside the examination hall. Make sure to keep your phone turned off and stored in a secure place before entering the exam center.
- Calculators: Calculators and any other electronic devices that can store or retrieve data are not allowed inside the exam center.
- Study material: Carrying any study material, notes, or books inside the examination hall is also not allowed.
- Food and drinks: Eating and drinking inside the exam hall is strictly prohibited.
- Weapons: Carrying any type of weapon, including even a small pocket knife, is not allowed inside the exam center.
Don't forget to bring your ID proof
Along with the AILET 2023 Admit Card, you need to carry a valid photo ID proof to the exam center. The photo ID proof serves as an identity verification document and helps the examination authorities to verify your identity and confirm that you are the same person who has registered for the exam.
Here are some commonly accepted photo ID proofs that you can carry to the exam center:
- Passport: A passport is a widely accepted photo ID proof and is highly recommended if you have one.
- PAN card: A PAN card issued by the Income Tax Department of India is also a valid photo ID proof.
- Voter ID: A Voter ID card issued by the Election Commission of India is also accepted as photo ID proof.
- Aadhaar card: An Aadhaar card issued by the UIDAI is also a valid photo ID proof.
Don't leave the exam center early
Leaving the exam center before the completion of the exam is not allowed. You are required to stay inside the exam center till the exam is over. There are several reasons why leaving the exam center before the completion of the exam is not allowed:
Prevent cheating: Leaving the exam center before the completion of the exam can create opportunities for cheating and compromise the integrity of the exam.
Maintain fairness: Allowing candidates to leave the exam center before the completion of the exam can create an unfair advantage for some candidates, and therefore, it is imperative that all candidates stay inside the exam center till the end of the exam.
Ensure security: Leaving the exam center before the completion of the exam can also pose a security risk and can lead to the loss of confidential exam material.
Don't indulge in unfair means
The AILET 2023 exam has strict rules against unfair means such as cheating, copying, etc. Make sure that you do not indulge in any such activities during the exam. Candidates who are found indulging in any form of unfair means such as cheating, plagiarism, impersonating, using mobile phones, etc during the AILET 2023 exam will face severe consequences, including cancellation of their candidature, and may also be barred from appearing for future exams.
AILET Exam Day: General Guidelines
- Reach the exam center well in advance: Reach the exam center well before the reporting time to avoid last-minute stress and panic. This will also give you enough time to complete the necessary formalities such as the frisking and checking of admit card and ID proof.
- Carry the necessary documents: Carry the AILET 2023 Admit Card, a valid photo ID proof, and a black/blue pen, pencil, eraser, and sharpener to the exam center.
- Dress appropriately: National Law University, Delhi has set a dress code for the AILET 2023 exam, so make sure that you are dressed appropriately and follow the dress code to avoid any inconvenience.
- Do not carry prohibited items: Make sure that you do not carry any prohibited items such as mobile phones, calculators, or any other electronic devices to the exam center.
- Read the instructions carefully: Read the instructions on the AILET 2023 question paper carefully before you start writing the exam.
- Stay inside the exam center: Leaving the exam center before the completion of the AILET 2023 exam is not allowed. You are required to stay inside the exam center till the exam is over.
- Follow the rules against unfair means: The AILET 2023 exam has strict rules against unfair means such as cheating, copying, or using prohibited materials during the exam. Make sure that you do not indulge in any such activities during the exam.