In Canada, a Master of Geography is a comprehensive subject that includes courses and specializations in various topics such as climate change, environmental science, planning, and geographic information science, among others. Students with a Bachelor's degree or equivalent in any area are eligible to apply.
Municipalities, schools and universities, research institutes, INGOs, non-profit organizations, and other organizations recruit graduates with this degree. The cost of earning a degree can range from $10,000 to 50,000 Canadian dollars, with a typical course length of two to three years.
Why choose Canada for studying Masters of Geography?
- Some of the top universities in Canada, including the University of Waterloo, McGill University, University of Victoria, offer this program
- 8 of the Canadian universities offering Masters of Geography are ranked within the top 100 in the global ranking
- It is estimated that there will be about 30,200 new job openings for Geography professors by 2026 in Canada
- Geography Information System, which is a stream of the Master of Geography program, is in very high demand, and the forecast shows 21,600 jobs for technicians from a similar background
Top Universities for Master of Geography in Canada
|QS World University Geography Rankings||Geology University||Program|
|5||The University of British Columbia*||
|11||University of Toronto||
MA (Thesis /Research)
|51-100||Queen's University at Kingston||
|51-100||Simon Fraser University||
|51-100||University of Waterloo||
|101-150||University of Calgary||
Master of GIS
|151-200||University of Ottawa||MA|
Branches and streams of Masters of Geography in Canada
The streams of graduate studies of Geography in Canada can be broadly classified into Masters of Arts and Masters of Science. The Master of Arts degree is a social science curriculum focusing on human behaviour and environmental interactions. It comprises classes like urban planning, public health planning, population geography, and many more. The Masters of Science stream is a natural science-based program focusing on physical geography, earth science, and environmental science. Environmental management, pollution control, health, and other courses are available in this stream.
How to apply?
If you wish to apply to one of the Canadian universities to study Master of Geography, you must first meet the eligibility criteria.
Some of the standard criteria imposed by the universities are:
- A bachelor’s degree of 4 years with a satisfactory result (B)
- For students whose native language is other than English, they must demonstrate English language proficiency through IELTS, TOEFL, or PBT. The universities specify the minimum requirement of the scores.
Besides these standard requirements, some universities may require a GRE score and work experience in relevant fields for application.
Documents required for applications
- Official transcript of bachelor's degree or equivalent (The transcript must be in the English language. Otherwise, a certified copy of the transcript translated into English is required)
- Statement of purpose, including a brief description of research, educational background, and intentions
- Reference letters ( 2-3)
- Proof of fund (Bank statements or documents that shows that the applicant is capable of paying for the tuition fees and living expenses in Canada)
- Latest resume
- Test scores submitted by the testing agencies, including English language proficiency tests and GRE
Tuition fees for Masters of Geography
Depending upon the stream and the courses you choose for your Master of Geography in Canada, the tuition fees may vary significantly. The tuition fees also depend upon the University of your choice. The table below briefly represents tuition fees for the Master of Geography in Canada.
|University||Program||Tuition fee per year|
|University of British Colombia||MA in Geography||9,000 to 10,000 Per year|
|Vancouver Island University||Geographic Information System Applications||18,000|
|University of Guelph||M.Sc./MA in Geography||20,513|
|University of Waterloo||M.Sc. in Geography||7,254 per term|
|Mc. Gill University||M.Sc./MA in Geography||11,442.13 per year|
|University of Toronto||MA/MSc in Geography||36,798.65 per year|
|University of Calgary||MSc in Geography||8,081 Per year|
|University of Saskatchewan||MA/MSc in Geography||8,096.13 Per year|
|University of Ottawa||MA/MSc in Geography||28,018 Per year|
Various courses available for Masters of Geography in Canada are:
- Geographic Information System (GIS) Application
- Geomatics for Environmental Management
- Environmental Studies
- Geography, Urban, and Environmental Studies
- Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering
- Physical Geography
- Environmental Sciences
- Human Geography
- Spatial Geography
- Geological Science
Life in Canada and Cost of Living
The cost of living in Canada is heavily influenced by the region and the individual's needs. A single room will cost between 900 and 1200 CAD per month. Food will cost between 150 and 300 Canadian dollars, while utilities such as power, water, internet, and mobile phones will cost between 400 and 600 Canadian dollars. If you set aside 150 CAD for incidental costs, you should be able to get by with 1600 to 2300 CAD. Of course, living in shared quarters can help to cut costs.
Scholarships and Funds
Several Canadian institutions provide a variety of scholarships and financing possibilities. Several external organizations fund overseas students to pursue a Master's degree at Canadian universities. These scholarships might range in value from a few hundred dollars to fully paying your tuition and living expenses.
Part-time jobs opportunities as an international student in Canada
International students are permitted to work for up to 20 hours a week, allowing them to supplement their income with part-time work. Many part-time employments are accessible, and students may also get a great job experience. Students may expect to get paid on average 10 CAD per hour if they work part-time. Aside from that, students can participate in internship programs, which give them a fantastic chance to get practical experience while generating income.
How to apply for a Master of Geography in Canada as an International Student?
- Research the course and program you want to pursue as a graduate student in Canada.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements set by the respective university for the particular program. It includes the academic requirement, work experience, research experience, etc.
- Meet the English language proficiency requirement set by the university by taking IELTS, TOEFL, or PBT.
- Prepare all the documents the University requires for the Application, including proof of funds, CV, reference letter, and statement of purpose.
- Submit your application and pay the application fee.
Intakes and Deadlines
There are mainly two intakes in universities in Canada. First is fall intake, which starts in September and lasts until the end of December or early January. This is the primary intake during which most courses are available for international students. The other intake is winter intake which starts from January until May. Some universities also take students in the summer (May-August). The specific date of start and end of an intake varies with universities. For an international student, it is advised to apply early to allow sufficient time for visa processing.
Scope of Masters of Geography in Canada
Because this program offers a variety of specialized courses, graduates can pursue a multitude of professional paths. From high school teacher to expert, Sr. Manager to research scientist, there are a variety of roles available.
Various sectors where the graduates of Masters of Geography can work are:
- Engineering and construction
- Planning and policymaking
- Public health
- Business and Public Sector
The table below shows the estimated average salary of different roles held by the graduates of Masters of Geography in Canada:
|Roles||Range of Salary in CAD||Average Salary in CAD|
|Sales and Marketing Manager||97,000-207,000||143,705|
|High School Teacher||31,000-60,000||45,832|
|Geographic Information Systems(GIS) Analyst||51,000-78,000||63,100|
|Content Marketing Manager||62,000-99,000||78,475|
|Community Outreach Coordinator||39,000-74,000||53,600|
|Public Works Director||72,000-214,000||115,093|