A master of Biotechnology in Canada can be a career advancement route for those working in the pharmaceutical industries/ biotechnology or related fields. Students will learn about the solid foundation- theoretical concepts and practical understanding- of applied laboratory techniques.
The MSc in Biotechnology program in Canada can be course-based or thesis-based.
Canada has provisions of scholarships and stipends to help International students while studying the MS in Biotechnology.
For the thesis/ research-based Biotechnology program, international students can reach out to programme supervisors and score impressive stipends. Other factors which make Canada one of the best destinations for biotechnology aspirants are its affordable tuition fee, job scope and wide range of specializations.
- What is the scope of Biotechnology in Canada for international students?
- What are the jobs in Canada after completing a Master of Biotechnology?
- How much does it cost to study Master of Biotechnology in Canada?
- Is GRE Mandatory to study Master of Biotechnology in Canada?
- What is the academic requirement to study Master of Biotechnology in Canada?
Why Study Master of Biotechnology in Canada?
- There is the provision of financial aid like scholarships and stipends for deserving students pursuing a Master of Biotechnology in Canada.
- Canada has the best universities, like the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia, offering the Biotechnology program.
- In general, the Master of Biotechnology fees is lower in Canada compared to the USA and Australian Universities.
- The Canadian biotechnology and life science sector is suffering an employment shortage of more than 20%.
- Canada offers various specializations in the master's and postgraduate Biotechnology programs.
Top Universities to study Master of Biotechnology in Canada
These are some of the top universities for Masters (MS) in Biotechnology in Canada for international students.
- University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto (UOT)
- McGill University
- McMaster University
- Saskatchewan university
- University of Calgary
- University of Alberta
- University of Lethbridge
- Lakehead University
- University of Manitoba
- University of Guelph
- York University
- University of Windsor
- University of Brock
- Dalhousie University
Master of Biotechnology in Canada fees
The fees for MSc in Biotechnology or Master in Biotechnology in Canada cost from CAD 8,500 to cad 50,000 for international students and CAD 3,000 to CAD 20,000 for domestic students.
The University of British Columbia, the University of Alberta and the University of Saskatchewan are among the cheapest Biotechnology Universities in Canada.
Master of Biotechnology Entry Requirements
Generally, students need to hold a 4-year bachelor's degree in the relevant fields to qualify for the academic requirements for the Master of Biotechnology programme in Canada.
These relevant programs are:
- Molecular biology and genetics
- Food science
- Food production systems
English Language Proficiency Requirement
To study Master of Biotechnology at any Canadian University, students must bring a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 with no less than 6.0 and equivalent scores in another test. There are some universities, like the University of Guelph and the University of British Columbia, for which the cut-off IELTS score IS 7 with no band less than 6.5.
Some universities also seek out other exams like GRE, with a minimum score of 310. However, GRE is not mandatory to study Master in Biotechnology or a related program in Canada.
University admission requirements samples for Master Program
University of Lethbridge
- Master of Biotechnology Course: Agricultural Biotechnology (MSc)
- Course Duration: 2 years full time
- IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE score: A minimum overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6/ a minimum overall score of 86/ at least 63
- Academic Requirement: Students must hold an undergraduate degree in a related discipline with a minimum point average of 3 by 4. Students should also find and secure a supervisor at the university.
- Annual tuition fees: CAD 23,000 to CAD 40,000
University of Windsor
- Master of Biotechnology Course: Master of Medical Biotechnology (MMB)
- Course Duration: 2 years
- IELTS/ TOEFL score: A minimum overall score of 6.5 with no band less than 6/ a minimum overall score of 83 with no band less than 21
- Academic Requirement: Students entering this program must have a four (4) year BSc or BSc (Honours) degree in Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, or accepted equivalent from an academic institution approved by the University of Windsor with at least 70%.
- Annual tuition fees: CAD 24,936 for international students.
The University of Guelph
- Master of Biotechnology Course: Master of Biotechnology
- Course Duration: 2 years
- IELTS/ TOEFL score: A minimum overall score of 7.0 with no band less than 6.5/ a minimum overall score of 93 with no band less than 23
- Academic Requirement: Students entering the program will typically have completed an Honours Bachelor’s degree with a minimum admission average of B (75% and higher) in a relevant field.
- Annual tuition fees: CAD 9,909 for domestic students and CAD 23,331.72 for international students.
Master of Biotechnology Scholarships and Financial Aids in Canada
If you are going for a research-based Master of Biotechnology program and contacting your supervisor, you can get a stipend to help you with tuition fees and scholarships.
- Official transcripts of bachelor's level plus character and provisional certificate.
- Official transcripts of Intermediate level plus character and provisional certificates.
- Statement of Purpose
- Reference letters (2-3)
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)/ Resume
- Letter of Intent
- A valid English Language Proficiency requirement
- The interview test is asked
- Proof of financial aid, if any
Postgraduate Diploma in Biotechnology in Canada
These are some of the best postgraduate diplomas programmes in Canada for international students in Biotechnology.
- Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology: Centennial College
- Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology and Genomics: Concordia University
- Advanced Diploma in Biotechnology: Durham College
- Graduate Certificate in Biomaterials and Chemical Laboratory
- A graduate certificate in Biotechnology: McGill University
Scope of Master of Biotechnology in Canada for international students
The career opportunities for international students after completing a Master of Biotechnology in Canada are enriching. The employment areas include:
- Health Management
- Environmental Management
- Pharmaceutical Compnaies
- Plant Biotechnology
- Universities and colleges
- Food industries
The Biotechnology graduates could earn as much as CAD 45,000 to CAD 100,000 in Canada.
|Biotechnology Jobs in Canada||Average Annual Salary in CAD|
|Quality Control Analyst||67,500|
|Quality Assurance Analyst||72,500|
|Product Development Engineer||92,352|
The other job that Biotechnology aspirants can work include:
- Analytical Chemist
- Application Scientist
- Associate study manager
- Associate Veterinarian
- Aseptic Filler
- Assistant Manager
- Biological Activity Technologist
- Biotechnology Analyst
- Clinical Trial Specialist
- Compliance and Documentation Specialist
- Compliance Coordinator
- Medical Administrator
- Medical Lab Technologist
- Marketing and Sales
- Pharmaceutical Process Operator
- Production and Packaging
- Science Project Coordinator
- Strategic Planning Analyst
- Quality Assurance Coordinator
- Quality Control Technologist
- Quality Control Analyst
- Quality Control Inspection
- Research Associate
- Validation Coordinator