Graduate Route for International Students in the UK starting from 1 July 2021
The UK has brought a new policy called “Graduate Route” as per which international students can stay in the UK a few years after their graduation and earn some valuable work experience.
This route provides people with an easier way to find a job and work in UK after completion of their education (Bachelor's degree or above) in the UK. This graduate route is applicable all over UK- communities of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
The application for this brand new Graduate Route is to start from 1 July 2021.
This Graduate Route has the following provisions for graduate and doctoral students.
- A student with a bachelor degree or master degree can stay in the UK and search for work or work for a maximum of 2 years.
- Doctoral Students can stay for a maximum of 3 years.
This post-study work option can help students to continue to live and work in the UK. Via the Graduate Route, UK intends to achieve the goal- UK’s broader international Education Strategy- of hosting 600,000 international students in higher education by 2030.
Eligibility to apply for Graduate Route in UK
International students do not need to already hold a job or necessarily have a job offer to be eligible for applying UK graduate route.
The other necessary conditions to apply for the Graduate Route include-
- Students need to have a bachelor’s degree or higher degree obtained from a recognized UK university.
- There are no minimum salary requirements that need to be met.
- International students need to demonstrate a track record of UK government's immigration requirements to apply for this route
- Students should have valid student (Tier 4) Visa at the time of application.
- Students who began study in UK in Autumn 2020, need to enter the UK by 21 June 2021, to apply for Graduate Route. Likewise, students who started their education in January/ February 2021 have until 27 September 2021 to enter UK and apply.
The benefit of Graduate Route for International Students
The Graduate Route will let the students work as per their premise, changing jobs when necessary and enhance their career.
Though the Graduate Route doesn't mean or doesn't lead to settlement in the UK, it does direct students towards a work-based route which leads to a settlement once they meet certain criteria.
UK Officials about Graduate Route
Kevin Foster, the minister of Future Borders and Immigration, mentioned
“As we rebuild from the global pandemic we want the world’s brightest talent, who aspire to a career at the highest levels of business, science, the arts and technology to see our United Kingdom as the natural place to fulfil their aspirations.”
He also added,
“The changes announced today will ensure once they have received a gold standard qualification from one of our world-leading education institutions they can easily secure the status they need to continue living, working and fulfilling their dreams in the UK.”