A Bachelor of Social Work in the UK helps international students find a career in Non-Governmental Organizations, Charities, etc. This degree is a 3-4 year degree which the best UK Universities offer.
International students tuition fees for a Bachelor of Social Work in the UK are between GBP 12,000 to 30,000. BSW in the UK is quite popular and has strict requirements like a good IELTS score and sound academic performance.
Thankfully, the UK's Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) also comes with benefits like great job opportunities and worldwide recognition.
- How to Become a social worker UK?
- What can you do with a Social Work degree?
- Bachelor of Social Work Universities in the UK.
- IELTS Requirement to study Bachelor of Social Work in the UK.
Why Study Bachelor of Social Work in the UK?
- The Universities for Bachelor of Social Work in the UK are characterized by E-Learning technologies, Self- directed study, Personal Tutors, timely feedback and assessments and Personal Tutor.
- There are a variety of courses, such as Community Development and Leadership BSc (Hons), Bachelor of Social Work (BSW), Social Work (BA) etc.
- According to Times Higher Education, fifteen of the world’s 100 best Social Work Universities are located in the UK.
- The scope of a Bachelor of Social Work is quite good in the UK, and the salary for social workers in the UK is also impressive.
Top Universities for Bachelor of Social Work in the UK
These are the best universities in the UK for social work degrees from Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2021 are:
|Ranking of Social Science Rank in 2023||WUR Social Science Rank 2023||University in the UK||Location|
|1||2||University of Oxford||Oxford|
|2||6||University of Cambridge||Cambridge|
|3||8||London School of Economics and Political Science||London|
|5||29||University of Manchester||Manchester|
|6||42||University of Sussex||Brighton|
|7||=44||University of Edinburgh||Edinburgh|
|8||=52||University of Essex||Essex|
|9||54||King’s College London||London|
|10||70||University of Sheffield||Sheffield|
|12||78||University of Warwick||Warwick|
|14||=93||University of York||York|
|=15||=96||University of Leeds||Leeds|
|=17||101–125||University of Birmingham||Birmingham|
|=17||101–125||University of Bristol||Bristol|
|=17||101–125||City, University of London||London|
|=17||101–125||University of East Anglia||Norwich|
|=17||101–125||University of Exeter||Exeter|
|=17||101–125||Goldsmiths, University of London||London|
|=17||101–125||University of Southampton||Southampton|
|=25||126–150||University of Glasgow||Glasgow|
|=25||126–150||University of Nottingham||Nottingham|
|=25||126–150||SOAS University of London||London|
Bachelor of Social Work degree entry requirements
Generally, students need to bring atleast 7 with no band less than 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent scores in English proficiency tests. Other than that, students are asked to bring atleast C Grade at the Intermediate or high school level.
|Bachelor of Social Work University in the UK||Bachelor of Social Work degree in the UK||English Language Requirement||Academic Requirement|
|University of Northhampton||Social Work BA (Hons)- 3 years full time||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||Students need to pass an intermediate level with Maths and English grade C.|
|University of Strathclyde||BA Hons Social Work||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||Students need to pass an intermediate level with 70%|
|Coventry University||Social Work BA (Hons)||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||Students need to hold an intermediate level with a minimum of 70%|
|University of Greenwich||Social Work, BA Hons||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||Students need to pass the intermediate level with a minimum of C|
|University of West London||University of Social Work (Hons)||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||Students need to pass the intermediate level with a minimum of C|
|University of Birmingham||Social Work BA- 3 years||IELTS 7.0 with 6.5 all bands||
Pass intermediate level or related diploma with at least C.
At least 20 days of practice-based experience is required.
|Queen’s University Belfast||Bachelor of Social Work (BSW)- 3 years||IELTS 6.5 with 5.5 all bands||Successful completion of BSW without atleast 60%/ 2.2/ Grade C|
Bachelor of Social Work fees in the UK
The tuition fees for a Bachelor of Social Work degree in the UK range from GBP 12,000 to GBP 40,000 for international students depending on the university to university. A Bachelor of Social Work costs an average of GBP 9,250 for domestic students. This cost is even lower for some universities for Bachelor of Social Work domestic students.
|BSW University in the UK||Domestic tuition fees per year (GBP)||Academic tuition fees per year (GBP)|
|University of North Hampton||9250||13,000|
|University of Strathclyde||9250||16,000|
|University of Greenwich||9,250||14,500|
|University of West London||9,250||12,750|
|University of Birmingham||9,250||19,020|
|Queen’s University Belfast||9,250||17, 400|
|Kingston University London||9,250||15,400|
Bachelor of Social Work in UK Curriculum
- Academic and Personal Development
- Introduction to Social Work
- Sociology for Social Work
- Managing Risk and Complexity in Social Work
- Social Work Theory and Preparation for Practice Learning
- Social Issues Across the Life Course
- Social Work in Adult Services
Bachelor of Social Work in UK Scholarships
These are some BSW Scholarships available in the UK for international students.
- Chevening Scholarships
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Social Work Bursary
- Care leavers accommodation scheme (limited)
- Salutem Scholarships
- Bank of England Scholarships Programme
- Dean’s International Undergraduate Scholarship at the University of Strathclyde in the UK
Application Requirement to apply for Bachelor of Social Work in the UK
You must present the following documents to the University to apply for BSW in the UK.
- Intermediate level/ High School/ Diploma transcripts, character and provisional certificate.
- English Proficiency Test (IELTS/ TOEFL/ PTE)
- Statement of Purpose
- Application fees
- Letter of Recommendation if asked.
Scope of Bachelor of Social Work in the UK
After a Bachelor of Social Work in the UK, you can find employment in a local authority, the health sector, the education sector, private and charitable sectors, and Non-governmental Organisations (NGOs) etcetera. Even if there are no national salary scales fixed for Social Workers in the UK, the yearly salary in the early years can be categorized between £18,000 and £30,000, depending on the work and location.
In the UK, you will find employment in areas like
- Social service departments of local authorities in England and Wales
- Social work departments in Scotland
- Health and social care trusts in Northern Ireland
- Primary care/health service trusts
- GP practices
- Children's home
- Private-sector nursing homes
- Voluntary and independent agencies.
These are the jobs and salaries for a Bachelor of Social Work in the UK.
|Social Work jobs in the UK||Average Salary in GBP (per year)|
|Substance Abuse Counselling||28,484|
|Community Health Workers||23,000|
|Mental health Care Counsellors||35,000|
|School Social Workers||27,000|