Studying abroad has become a trend nowadays as it helps students gain a broader perspective, international exposure, and valuable skills. The United Kingdom is one of the most popular destinations for international students, including those from Nepal. The UK offers a wide range of courses, high-quality education, and a multicultural environment suitable for students from all backgrounds.
The United Kingdom is renowned globally for its exceptional quality of education, with several universities established as early as the 12th century that has since become leaders in the education world. The UK has pioneered a culture of education, and studying there promises to be a unique experience. Whether you prefer the hustle and bustle of London or the charming countryside of West England, you will fall in love with the UK and its people.
Thanks to its long history of education culture, the UK boasts one of the largest international student populations in the world. No matter your interests, many clubs and societies are available, and the social life is diverse and exciting.
Studying in the UK from Nepal can be a life-changing experience for students. The UK offers high-quality education, a multicultural environment, and many job opportunities. The application process is straightforward, and various scholarships and financial aid options are available for international students.
This article will guide you on how to study in the UK from Nepal, the application process, and the requirements for admission.
Why Study in the UK?
- The UK has some of the world's most prestigious universities and colleges, which attract students from all over the world. Studying in the UK offers many benefits, including:
- High-quality education: UK universities are renowned for their quality of education, which is highly respected worldwide. The teaching standards and research facilities are world-class.
- Diversity: The UK has a multicultural society with a welcoming and friendly environment that makes international students feel at home. Students can experience different cultures, learn new languages, and make friends worldwide.
- Wide range of courses: UK universities offer a wide range of courses that cater to every student's interests and career aspirations. There's something for everyone, from traditional subjects like law and medicine to new and emerging fields like artificial intelligence and cybersecurity.
- Career opportunities: A UK degree is highly regarded by employers worldwide, which can open up many job opportunities for students after graduation.
To study in the UK from Nepal, you will need to meet the following admission requirements:
- Academic qualifications: You must have completed your secondary education and have the required grades to apply for the course you are interested in.
- English language proficiency: You must demonstrate your English proficiency by taking an English language test such as IELTS or TOEFL.
- Personal statement: You must write a statement highlighting your academic achievements, career aspirations, and why you want to study in the UK.
- Reference letters: You must provide reference letters from your teachers or professors that attest to your academic abilities and character.
Nepalese Preferred Top University in the UK
- University of Chester
- University of Hertfordshire
- Kingston University
- Brunel University
- Aston University
- University of Birmingham
- Greenwich University
- Coventry University
- Birmingham City University
- Central Lancashire University (UCLAN)
- Edge Hill University
- Bedfordshire University
- Oxford Brookes University
- University of Sunderland
- University of Birmingham
- University of Leeds
- University of Manchester
Tuition Fees and Scholarships
The tuition fees for UK study can vary depending on the university and your chosen course. On average, international students can expect to pay between £15,000 to £25,000 per year. However, various scholarships and financial aid options are available for international students. The British Council in Nepal offers scholarships and financial support for Nepalese students who want to study in the UK.
Generally, international students, including Nepalese students, can expect to pay higher fees than home students. According to a UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) survey, the average tuition fee for international undergraduate students in the UK is £14,620 per year, while for postgraduate students, it is £16,427 per year.
Various scholarships and financial aid options are available for Nepalese students who wish to study in the UK. These include scholarships from the UK government, British Council, individual universities, and other organizations. Some popular scholarship options for Nepalese students in the UK include the Chevening Scholarship, Commonwealth Scholarship, and the GREAT Scholarships.
Nepalese students can also explore funding options available in their home country, such as the Nepalese government's scholarship programs or loans from financial institutions.
Living expenses in the UK can vary depending on the location and lifestyle. On average, international students can expect to spend around £10,000 to £15,000 per year on accommodation, food, transport, and other expenses. However, there are various ways to reduce living expenses, such as living in shared accommodation or cooking meals instead of eating out.
Student Life in the UK
Student life in the UK is vibrant and diverse, with many activities and events to participate in. Students can join various clubs and societies, participate in sports, attend concerts and cultural events, and explore the country's rich history and culture. The UK has a bustling nightlife scene, with many pubs, bars, and clubs where students can socialize and meet new people.
International students must have health insurance to cover the cost of any medical treatment they may need while studying in the UK. The National Health Service (NHS) provides free healthcare to UK residents, but international students are not eligible for this service. Therefore, it is essential to purchasing health insurance before arriving in the UK.
Post-Study Work Opportunities
International students can work part-time while studying in the UK to supplement their income. Students can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays. The UK offers many job opportunities for students in various sectors, including retail, hospitality, and healthcare.
Attending school in the UK from Nepal can offer a significant advantage of obtaining a two-year post-study work visa for international students. This means that after completing their undergraduate, graduate, or professional programs, students can remain and work in the UK. This program is commonly known as graduate immigration.
With the two-year post-study job search visa, students can stay in the UK for up to two years after finishing their education to look for work or employment. There are no restrictions on the number of students who can obtain a visa or the minimum salary requirements, making studying in the UK a valuable benefit.
Moreover, students can change their visas to remain in the UK and potentially immigrate. Overall, this post-study work visa is an excellent incentive for international students to choose the UK as their study destination.
UK Visa Application Process
- Select a university and course of study.
- Determine whether you require ATAS clearance.
- Complete the application form and wait for the offer letter.
- Once you receive an offer letter, fulfil any conditions required to receive an unconditional offer.
- Submit an initial tuition deposit to the university.
- Apply for a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
- Obtain medical and police reports as required.
- Begin the process of applying for a UK visa.
- Complete and submit an online application via the UKVI website.
- Schedule an appointment at your nearest VFS location.
- Be prepared to answer questions about your chosen university, course of study, and plans.
- Pay the required fees for biometrics and health charges.
- Wait for the visa decision, which typically takes approximately three weeks.
- Receive notification of the decision by email or text message.