Thanks to the top-ranked Universities, safety factors and world-class education, New Zealand is relatively famous among national and international students.
This guide goes through 8 top-ranked universities in New Zealand, ranked based on factors like research output, international students rate, employer satisfaction, status, student/ faculty ratio and so on.
Best Universities in New Zealand according to QS World Rankings 2023
|Universities in New Zealand||Global Ranking|
|The University of Auckland||81|
|University of Otago||184|
|Victoria University of Wellington||223|
|University of Canterbury||270|
|University of Waikato||375|
|Auckland University of Technology||437|
University of Auckland
- As suggested by the name, the University of Auckland is located in Auckland- the largest city in New Zealand.
- It is a public research university.
- It is one of the largest universities in New Zealand, with over 40,000 students
- It was established in 1883.
- The University of Auckland is the best New Zealand University which also falls under the top 100 Universities of the world according to QS World Universities Rankings.
- Has faculty of arts, laws, science, engineering, business, education and so on.
University of Otago
- The University of Otago was established in 1869.
- It has faculty of arts, humanities, laws, science, engineering, business, education, management and so on.
- It had 4 campuses situated in Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch
- It offers undergraduate, master, and PhD across several disciplines.
- The University of Otago is one of the top-ranked universities in New Zealand, with over 15 thousand students.
Victoria University of Wellington
- It is a top public university in New Zealand, established in 1897.
- It has over 15000 thousand students, more than 20% of which are international students.
- Has faculty of arts, laws, science, IT, engineering, business, Finance education and so on.
- It has 3 campuses: Kelburn Campus, Pipitea Campus and Te Aro Campus
University of Canterbury
- It is a public New Zealand University located in Christchurch, New Zealand.
- The University of Canterbury was established in 1873.
- The University of Canterbury has 5 colleges- College of Engineering, College of Business and Law, College of Arts, College of Health and Human Development and College of Education.
- It offers Undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD programs across several disciplines.
- It boasts impressive infrastructures like computer suites, lecture theatres, modern laboratories and more than 16000 students.
- It is a famous public university in New Zealand which was established in 1927.
- It offers degrees in finance, food science, health science, agriculture, Engineering, IT, accountancy, etc.
- The campusES of Massey University are Manawatu Campus, Albany Campus and Wellington Campus.
- Massey University offers rare programs like dispute resolution, nanoscience and aviation.
University of Waikato
- The University of Waikato is a top public research university in New Zealand.
- It was established in 1964.
- The University of Waikato is located in Hamilton, New Zealand.
- It offers degrees across disciplines like business, mass communication, health, education, mathematics, engineering, social science, etcetera.
- It has over 10000 students, with around 10% international students.
- Lincoln University started its journey as a School of Agriculture in 1878. It underwent specific changes numerous times and, in 1990, was established as an independent university.
- Lincoln University is located in Lincoln, New Zealand.
- This University is relatively tiny, with over 3 thousand students.
- It offers plenty of specializations and degrees in agriculture, business, and the environment.
- It has residence halls and offers on-campus accommodation to students.
- The agriculture subject of Lincoln University falls under the top 100 of similar programs as per QS World University Rankings by Subjects.
Auckland University of Technology
- Initially formed as Technical College in 1895, Auckland University of Technology was established as University in 2000.
- It has 3 campuses- The city campus in Auckland Central, South Campus in Manukau and North Campus in Northcote.
- It offers programs across disciplines of creative technologies, tourism, social science, law, hospitality, sports, computer science, engineering, psychology, etc.