Are you intrigued by the glamorous world of fashion designing? Do you want to get started with a career in fashion designing but have no clue on where or how to begin?
If yes, give this “How to Become a Fashion Designer?” article a go!
What is a Fashion Designer?
Fashion Designers are creative individuals who can add beauty to clothing or accessories give your look a whole new freshness and elegance. They sketch designs of clothing, footwear and accessories.
They are supposed to have a panache and flair for the glamorous world of fashion designing.
Skills Required to Become a Fashion Designer
- Drawing abilities
- Able to work independently or as part of a team
- Artistic and Creative Activities
- Ability to handle and work under pressure
- Creative flair and drawing ability
- Fashion acumen
- Strong sewing skills
- Strong Visualization Skills
- Knowledge of Currens Fashion Trend
- Computer to skills
- Attention to details
- Fabric Knowledge
- Multi-tasking skills.
- Good Communication Skills
- Pattern Cutting skills
Roles and Responsibilities of a Fashion Designer
As a fashion designer, you will have to fill in the following shoes-
- Researching current fashion trends and determining what consumers will like
- Collaborating with the design team to develop ideas for new products based on research data
- Designing sketches for new products with a design team
- Creating clothing patterns for mass production
- Testing and deciding on fabrics, colours, patterns and textures for each design
- Overseeing the production of designs, including carrying out fittings, determining prices and managing marketing
- Maintaining relationships with vendors, suppliers and models.
- Collaborating with a technical designer to ensure development packages are accurate.
Steps to Becoming a Successful Fashion Designer
Earn a degree in fashion design
Getting a degree in fashion designing is perhaps the easier and most popular way to become a fashion designer.
Be it short courses like diploma and certificate or long courses like Bachelor degree, proper and structure knowledge on fashion design, the history of fashion, textiles, figure drawing, and pattern making will help you get started on the competitive fashion industry.
Fashion Designing courses
- Diploma in Fashion Design
- PG Diploma in Fashion Designing
- Bachelor of Design in Fashion
- BSc in Fashion Design
- BA in Fashion Design
- BDes Fashion Design
- MSc Fashion Design
- MA Fashion Design
- Master in Fashion Management
- Master of Design
Fashion Designing Colleges in Nepal
- Nepal College of Fashion Technology
- IEC College of Art and Fashion
- Gorgeous Institute of Fashion Technology (GIFT)
- International Institute of Fashion Technology (IIFT)
- Kantipur International College
Fashion Designing Colleges in India
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) Ahmedabad, NIFT Mumbai, NIFT Hyderabad, NIFT Chennai.
- International Institute of Fashion Design
- Lovely Professional University
- International School of Design
- Amity School of Fashion Technology
- Symbiosis Institute of Design (SID) Pune
- Pearl Academy
Get relevant training
Getting a degree doesn’t necessarily mean that you have the proper skills to be a fashion designer. Sometimes the degree could just be about theories. At such time, taking training, attending fashion workshops, participating in internships with designing companies and etc can help students with much needed hands-on experience.
Hands-on knowledge of computer applications like Computer-Aided Design (CAD) is also a huge advantage nowadays.
Be updated with the latest fashion trends
If you want to excel in the fashion industry, you need to learn everything going on with it. Fashion keeps on updating and so should you. You need to keep up with the changing trends, fashion choices, while also keeping sharp eyes on evergreen fashion stuff.
Build a portfolio and grow your network
Even if you are a fashion prodigy, if you don’t an effective and catchy portfolio, you could have a hard time finding fashion designing jobs or projects.
In case you don’t have past professional experience, you can also put up your personal project.
So, you need to create a portfolio showcasing your skills, training, passion and projects. Your past projects will help you get new projects.
You can attend fashion shows, galleries, workshops and seminars to grow your network.
Develop your own collection, Maybe build an online presence
You can create your own original products. This will help you draw potential clients as well as recruiters. With diverse collections, you can demonstrate your flexibility and hard work. Another step to becoming a successful designer is to build an online presence.
With an online presence, you can reach a whole new audience which couldn’t be possible otherwise. You can start small with a page or group on social media like Facebook, Instagram, Linked In and eventually progress to earning your won website.
Salary of a Fashion Designer
The salary of a Fashion Designer ranges from USD 4,000 to USD 40,000 per year in the beginning years. Currently, there are countless fashion designers who are millionaires, perhaps you will be an addition to the list.
Pros and Cons of Becoming a Fashion Designer
Advantages of becoming a Fashion Designer
- Good designers can earn really good money.
- You can be creative.
- You don’t necessarily need long College degrees to be a Fashion Designer.
- You can start your own business without huge investments.
- You can follow your passion, travel while you work and meet different people, thus there won’t be a moment of dullness in your career.
- You will get absolute satisfaction watching other people wearing your art.
Disadvantages of becoming a Fashion Designer
- A small mistake can sabotage your product.
- Your income could be unpredictable.
- Many designers have a hard time making it big in the fashion designing industry.
- You could have a hard time building trust in clientele and lose that trust with a single mistake.
- You could be handling difficult customers.
- The fashion designing industry is highly competitive.
- You need to keep up with the dynamic world of fashion or else your work could be outdated too.