Deciding to study in Australia is an exciting first step toward a promising future. To study in Australia, you need a student visa called the Student visa (subclass 500). You must meet specific requirements and provide documents to apply for the visa. Once you have the visa, you can study in Australia and work towards a better future.
Academic Entry Requirements
The academic requirements you must meet to study in Australia will depend on the course you are interested in pursuing. Different courses may have different entry requirements, including the required English language proficiency level.
- You can find more information about the necessary proof of English proficiency for English language courses in the section provided below. This may include taking a language proficiency test such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE Academic to demonstrate your language skills.
- Schools in Australia may have varying entry requirements, which may differ based on the state or territory in which the school is located. It's essential to research the specific needs of the school you're interested in attending.
- Australia's vocational education and training (VET) institutions generally do not require entrance exams. However, some VET courses may require you to complete certain subjects or work experience before enrolling in the program.
- You must have completed an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate of Education (Year 12) or its equivalent for higher education undergraduate courses. Some undergraduate courses may also have additional prerequisite subjects that you must complete to be eligible for admission.
- If you are interested in pursuing a higher education postgraduate course in Australia, you must have completed at least one undergraduate degree. Education providers may also consider your research abilities or relevant work experience when considering your application.
How to Apply for Your Student Visa
Getting a student visa is crucial if you want to study in Australia. Even if you're planning to start your studies online, obtaining a student visa now can help you prepare for on-campus studies in the future. Besides, having a student visa can also help you apply for a post-study work visa (Visa subclass 485) after completing your studies.
To apply directly to an Australian education provider, visit the website and download an application form through the Course Search tool. However, if you need assistance with your application, you can seek help from an Australian education agent. But remember, you still need to provide all the relevant documents to the agent to be submitted with your application form.
To apply for a student visa, you must provide certain documents to support your application. These documents include the following:
- Certificates that confirm your previous education, such as any degrees or certifications you have earned.
- Proof of your English language proficiency.
- Certificates or documents that prove your previous education or work experience if you want to receive course credits. These documents must be translated into English.
Understanding the Student Visa (Subclass 500)
The Student Visa (Subclass 500) allows you to stay and study in Australia for a maximum of five years, according to the duration of your course. While on this visa, you are usually permitted to work up to 40 hours per fortnight during term time and unlimited hours during study breaks. However, due to the pandemic, the Australian government is temporarily allowing students to work beyond the limit of 40 hours per fortnight during term time in all sectors. Currently, students are also entitled to start working upon their arrival in Australia and do not have to wait until their course commences.
The Australian government charges a fee for student visas, which starts at AUD$ 650 per visa application unless you are exempt. The processing time for your visa application can vary, and you can check estimated processing times on the Department of Home Affairs website. If you applied for your student visa before March 19, 2022, and you and your dependents have arrived in Australia, you may be eligible for a refund of the Visa Application Charge. You have until December 31, 2022, to apply for a refund.
Student Visa Requirements
You must meet specific requirements to apply for a student visa in Australia. These requirements include:
Offer of Enrollment: This confirms that you have been accepted into a course of study at an Australian educational institution. It should outline the course details, including the duration of the system and the fees you will need to pay.
Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Requirement: This requirement is designed to ensure that students are temporarily coming to Australia to study and have no intention of staying in the country permanently. You must provide evidence to support your claim that you are a genuine temporary entrant, such as evidence of your ties to your home country or your plans to return home after your studies.
Financial Capacity: You must demonstrate that you have enough money to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and other associated costs while studying in Australia. You can provide evidence of this in various ways, such as through bank statements or a letter from a financial institution.
English Language Proficiency: You will need to demonstrate your proficiency in English through an English language test or by meeting other requirements outlined by the Australian educational institution.
Health and Character Requirements: You must meet specific health and character requirements to be granted a student visa. This may involve a medical examination or police clearance certificates.
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC): You will need health insurance coverage for your studies in Australia. Most students must take out an OSHC policy, which can be arranged through your educational institution or a private health insurer.
Visa Application Fee: Finally, you must pay a fee to submit your visa application. The current fee for a student visa application is AUD$ 650, although this is subject to change. You may also need to pay additional fees for health checks, police certificates, and other services.
FAQs About Australian Visa Application
What is an Australian visa?
An Australian visa is an official document that allows non-Australian citizens to enter, stay, or transit through Australia for a specified period of time.
What are the types of Australian visas?
The types of Australian visas include tourist visas, student visas, work visas, family visas, and business visas.
How do I apply for an Australian visa?
You can apply for an Australian visa online through the Department of Home Affairs website or through an authorised visa application centre.
What are the requirements for an Australian visa application?
The requirements for an Australian visa application may vary depending on the type of visa you are applying for. Generally, you need a valid passport, a completed visa application form, evidence of financial support, and other supporting documents depending on the type of visa.