Bachelor of Public Health in Nepal is a 4-year course with a single intake throughout the year. BPH covers a wide range of core courses like Public Health, Epidemiology, Community Diagnosis, Research Methodology, Health Management, Public Health statistics/biostatistics, Population Health, Health Promotion and Education, Environmental Health, Reproductive/Family Health, Nutrition, and Behavioral Science. Even if the syllabus for Bachelor of Public Health is different for Tribhuvan, Pokhara and Purbanchal University, the curriculum is somewhat similar.
This course aims to produce qualified professionals in the field of Public Health and Health Care.
Highlights of Bachelor of Public Health in Nepal
- BPH is an annual course system spread over 4 years.
- Students are selected based on merit.
- Students must record a minimum of 80% attendance for exam registration.
- Each college is allowed to intake 40 applicants per year for the Bachelor of Public Health Program.
Eligibility Criteria for Bachelor of Public Health in Nepal
Back in 2061, Nepal Health Professional Council (NHPC) issued criteria for the minimum requirement to get admitted into the Bachelor in Public Health Programme. The minimum requirements were reviews again and revised in 2068 BS.
The minimum requirements covered by NHPC has brought some significant changes in admission criteria for enrollment in course, eligibility of faculty, curriculum requirements and course duration.
To get entry in BPH in Nepal, Students need to meet the following criteria.
- The applicant should have an intermediate or +2 degree in Science in biology stream/ Proficiency Level Certificate in Science or certificate in Health Sciences with a minimum of 50% from a recognized body or authority.
- Applicants should also sit for the entrance examination conducted by different universities (depending on the college and what university it is affiliated to) and bring atleast 50% of their score to be deemed eligible for admission.
Syllabus for Bachelor of Public Health Entrance exam in Nepal
Important information on entrance examination format:
- Question type: Single best response type of multiple-choice questions
- Option: Four options (A, B, C, D)
- Number of questions: 200
- Full marks: 200 I.E. one question is worth one mark.
- Cognitive ratio: Recall: Understanding: Application – 30:50:20
- Duration: 3 hours
The mark distribution is as follows:
|Pre-requisite Health Knowledge (Basic Concepts)||20|
|Mental Agility Test (MAT)||20|
You might already be familiar with other domains like zoology, Botany, Chemistry and Physics. The Prerequisite Health Knowledge encompasses basics of communicable and non-communicable diseases, Water, sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Basic concepts of biostatistics and epidemiology and finally the determinants of health and illness.
Additionally, the MAT section encompasses verbal reasoning numerical reasoning, logical sequencing and spatial relation. Abstract Reasoning.
Bachelor of Public Health Colleges in Nepal
Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) is offered by:
- Tribhuvan University
- Purbanchal University
- Pokhara University
BPH Colleges affiliated with Tribhuvan University
- Maharajgunj Medical Campus, Institute of Medicine, Tribhuvan University- Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science- Lalitpur
- Chitwan Medical College (CMC)- Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Janaki Medical College (JMC)
- Universal College of Medical Sciences and Teaching Hospital (UCMS)
- Manmohan Memorial Institute of Health Science (MMIHS)
- Gandaki Medical College (JMC)
BPH colleges affiliated with Pokhara University
Pokhara University offers a Bachelor of Public Health under the faculty of Health Sciences. Pokhara University, via its Bachelor of Public Health Program, aims to equip students with essential technical and scientific understanding to work in different health care programs.
These colleges provide BPH in affiliation to Pokhara University.
- LA Grande International College- Simalchaur, Pokhara, Kaski
- Nobel College- Singamangal, Kathmandu
- National Open College (NOC)- Sanepa, Lalitpur
- Pokhara University, School of Health and Allied Sciences- Khudi, Lekhnath, Kaski
- CIST College- New Baneshwor, Kathmandu
BPH Colleges affiliated with Purbanchal University
Purbanchal University has an objective to prepare public health specialists with optimum technical, scientific and managerial skills.
- Nepal Institute of Health Sciences (NIHS), Stupa, Bouddha, Kathmandu
- National Academy for Medical Sciences (NAMS), Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Yeti Health Science Academy, Maharajgunj, Kathmandu
- Karnali College of Health Sciences, Ratopul, Kathmandu
- Valley College of Technical Sciences, Mid Baneshwor, Kathmandu
- Little Buddha College, Gyaneshwor, Kathmandu
- Om Health Campus, Chahabil, Kathmandu
- Hope International College, Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Asian College for Advance Studies, Satdobato, Lalitpur
- Chakrabarti Habi Education Academy, Rajkuloroad, Thimi, Bhaktpur
- Koshi Health Science Campus, Biratnagar
- Unique Educational Academy, Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Saptarishi Health Science College, Rajbiraj, Saptari
- Shree Medical and Technical College, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Oasis Medical College, Bharatpur, Chitwan
- Sanjeevani Health Science College, Butwal, Rupandehi
- Eden Berg International College, Biratnagar, Morang
- Birat Health College and Research Centre, Biratnagar, Morang
As mentioned above, each of these colleges offers 40 seats for BPH Applicants per year.
BPH Fees in Nepal
According to the Medical Education Commission (MEC), the fee structure for Bachelor of Public Health in Nepal is NPR 7,50,000 for the 4-year course.
How are students evaluated?
The performance of students during this curriculum is evaluated internally and externally.
- The internal examination is conducted by the internal examiners and concerned faculty via several assessment methods such as quizzes, lab works, home assignments, internal exams, term papers, class participation, attendance, class tests and so on.
- On the other hand, the external examinations include the year-end examinations conducted by the Office of the Controller of Examinations of concerned universities. The external evaluation also encompasses practical, field practice, internships, demonstrations, VIVA, presentations etc.
Scope of Bachelor of Public Health (BPH) in Nepal
Public Health has promising career opportunities in the private and governmental sectors. The employment areas for the graduates of Bachelor of Public Health are:
- Governmental Service
After completion of BPH, you could work in planning and implementing different health programs under the department of health service, Ministry of Health and Population, District health organization and so on.
- Hospital and Research Center
Help the general public take better care of themselves by finding solutions to health-related problems, conducting seminars, events etc.
- Colleges and Academic Institutes
Teach students public health-related subjects, conduct seminars and workshops.
- NGO/INGO/ Developmental sectors
You could work as a part of nutrition, reproductive health, HIV and AIDS, child health, women's health, sociology, epidemiology and so on.
A career in Public Health will provide you satisfaction in several ways. Other than making one feel good immensely good about helping others and involving in humanitarian issues, a Public Health degree will help you take care of yourself, your family, society and also make a lucrative career.
BPH jobs in Nepal are:
|BPH Jobs||Salary ranges per month in NPR|
|Teacher/ Lecturer||18,000 to 60,000|
|Medical Sales Representative||15,000 to 35,000|
|Health Service Manager||30,000 to 90,000|
|Health Promotion Specialist||30,000 to 88,000|
|Community Development Worker||22,000 to 53,000|
|Social Worker||25,000 to 60,000|
Note, that this is a general range and salary can be more or less depending upon the type of organization. Other than that, you can also pursue higher studies in Nepal or abroad in the Master in Public Health Program or health-related programs.